Know before you go: indoor recreation centres
Updates and notices
May 5, 2021
The Government of Alberta announced additional restrictions. All Strathcona County indoor recreation and culture facilities are CLOSED until further notice.
- Virtual programs are still available and include preschool, visual arts and group fitness.
- All indoor programs have been cancelled.
- Preschool outdoor programs, including Sportball have been cancelled effective May 5.
- All other outdoor programs (group fitness, visual arts and outdoor pursuits) will be cancelled effective May 10.
- Swimming lessons scheduled for May have been shifted to June. Learn more.
- All affected individuals will receive an automatic refund (where applicable) or a credit on their account.
- Monthly passes are currently on hold but can be reactivated to access single class, virtual fitness programs by calling any recreation facility.
Customer Service Representatives are available Monday to Friday during the day.
- RPC Admin at 780-467-2211
- Millennium Place at 780-416-3300
- Ardrossan Recreation Complex at 780-400-2084
- Glen Allan Recreation Complex at 780-467-4404
Non-medical masks required
As part of Strathcona County’s efforts to stop the spread of COVID-19, non-medical masks (face coverings) are required for people (2 years of age and older) entering all County-owned buildings (including recreation centres) and transit.*
The safety of our guests and staff remains our top priority. Some services may change as we continue to adapt to Alberta Health guidelines.
Pre-book and pre-pay for your activity time slot
To visit an indoor recreation centres, you must pre-book your activity time slot. No walk-in visitors will be permitted without a pre-booking.
New activity time slots open for booking at 7 a.m. daily. Ex. On December 5 at 7 a.m. the activity time slots for December 10 become available for booking.
- Pre-book and pre-pay for your activity time slot with Recreation Online or by calling the recreation centre you wish to visit. If you wish to use credit on account, you must phone any recreation facility to use. Those in a caregiver role (assistant/aide) need to book a time slot as well. Please phone a recreation centre to coordinate.
- Time slots range from 60 minutes to 90 minutes depending on the activity.
- Registered programs - virtual programs, outdoor programs and cross country skiing lessons available.
- You can cancel your activity time slot before it begins and receive a credit on your account by calling the recreation centre.
- You can only visit the area you have registered for (e.g. if you booked for the wellness centre, you can not visit the pool).
- Each individual attending the facility with you must have a pre-booked time slot as well.
- You can come to the facility at any time during your time slot, but you must leave at the end of it, regardless of what time you arrived. (e.g. If you book 9 a.m. to 10:30 a.m. you must leave by 10:30 a.m. even if you arrive at 9:45 a.m.)
- After each time slot, staff will sanitize equipment and clean the area for the next group.
- Use of the gymnasium, indoor fields, or dry surface spaces is not included in activity time slots. These spaces must be booked by calling 780-416-7252 or by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. (CLOSED)
Pricing and passes
You can purchase a single activity time slot, buy a package of 10, or get a one month pass. All passes are non-transferrable.
|Tots under 2||Free||Free||Free|
|Child (2-12 years)||$4.00||$36.00||$15.00|
|Youth (13-17 years)||$5.50||$49.50||$23.00|
|Adult (18-64 years)||$7.00||$63.00||$47.00|
|Senior (65 years +)||$5.50||$49.50||$35.00|
- 10-visit activity time slot packages can be purchased with a 10% discount. This package can only be used for the facility and activity it was purchased for and is available at RecOnline.strathcona.ca. For additional packages for family members, please call a recreation centre.
- A one month (30 day) pass is available at the same rate as the Millennium Card. This pass can be purchased online or by calling a recreation centre. The one month pass can be used at all facilities for activity time slots and for virtual group fitness single classes. (Note: This pass does not include in-person group fitness classes.) Learn more.
*Remember to always call and cancel your activity time slot booking if you can no longer make it, space is limited and this allows another individual to utilize that spot.
- To support the changes in service levels, Millennium Cards that were put on hold will continue to remain on hold with no payments being taken until further notice.
Before your visit: answer the COVID-19 pre-screening questions
You've booked your time slot and you're ready to go but wait! Do you have any of the following symptoms? If you have any of the symptoms listed below, you are not permitted to enter any recreation centre.
You may cancel your booking by calling the recreation centre before it begins and receive a credit on your account.
- Cough (new cough or worsening chronic cough)
- Shortness of breath or difficulty breathing (new or worsening)
- Runny nose
- Sore throat
- Painful swallowing
- Stuffy nose
- Muscle or joint aches
- Feeling unwell, fatigue or severe exhaustion
- Gastrointestinal symptoms (nausea, vomiting, diarrhea or unexplained loss of appetite)
- Loss of sense of smell or taste
- Conjunctivitis, commonly known as pink eye
When you arrive
- Welcome! Arrive no more than 10 minutes before your scheduled time slot. Come dressed to participate in your activity and bring a pre-filled, labelled water bottle (water fountains are only available as bottle fills). Wallet lockers, washrooms, and locker rooms are available. Access to the showers is available to only those who are using the pool.
- When you arrive please head to the nearest front desk. For your safety and the safety of our staff, you will notice that we have installed plexiglass partitions and our staff may be wearing masks and gloves.
- Masks are required for guests 2 years of age or older and must be worn in all common areas.
Guests must wear their mask or face covering in all common areas and at all times in the wellness centre, including during workouts and during low intensity group fitness programs. (Exceptions apply to individuals training 1:1 with a professional trainer, see the information desk for more details.)
Continue to maintain a physical distance of 3 metres (10 feet) from others.
- Use the hand sanitizer provided.
- Answer the pre-screening questions and follow all posted signage.
- Show proof of your booking and payment.
- Head to the location of your activity, program or booking within the facility.
- Avoid touching any communal surfaces and wash or sanitize your hands. Hand sanitizer and sanitizing wipes will be available in all facilities.
- Be mindful of others. Maintain physical distancing, keep 2 metres (6 feet) away from all individuals who are not from your household or cohort in common areas and 3 metres (10 feet) in wellness centres and group fitness programs. Follow all provincial gathering restrictions in place.
- Leave the facility as soon as your time slot has ended. Please note that no loitering is permitted. Staff will begin cleaning and sanitizing the area for the next set of guests.
1. Am I able to remove my mask during my workout?Permanent link to Am I able to remove my mask during my workout?
Masks must be worn at all times during your workout. You may remove your mask to drink water, however once you are done drinking, you must immediately put your mask back on.
Remeber: you must maintain a physical distance of 3 metres (10 feet) from others while in the wellness centre and group fitness classes in addition to wearing your mask or face covering.
Are the indoor tracks open?
The indoor track at Millennium Place is open for low intensity exercise and included with the wellness centre activity time slot booking. You must wear a mask and maintain a physical distance of 3 metres (10 feet) from others at all times while using the track.
The indoor track at Ardrossan Recreation Complex remains closed due to the difficulty in maintaining the provincial guideline of 3 metre distancing between all guests. In order to pass another individual on the track, guests would not be able to maintain the 3 metre physical distancing required.
In order to remain open, we must follow all guidelines provided by the province. We will continue to reevaluate ways in which we can safely reopen this amenity.
3. Can I do cardio exercised under the new restrictions?Permanent link to Can I do cardio exercised under the new restrictions?
Yes, you may perform low intensity cardio exercises as long as you can comfortably wear your mask for the duration that you are performing that activity.
Cash will continue to be accepted for payment however guests are encouraged to pre pay or pay with touchless transactions using credit or debit cards whenever possible.
Can I use my Millennium Card?
To support the changes in service levels, Millennium Cards that were put on hold will continue to remain on hold with no payments being taken until further notice. An interim one-month pass will continue to be offered at the Millennium Card price. This is a simplified version of the card that does not include the additional family pricing when added to an adult/senior membership. Learn more.
6. Does each person need an activity time slot?Permanent link to Does each person need an activity time slot?
Yes, an activity time slot is required for each person that will attend an activity. You need to identify who will be attending the activity. It's important to login to your account first.
Step 1: login
Step 2: choose the desired facility and activity
Step 3: Select the person to book and press "go"
Step 4: from here, you can choose the correct date and time
Step 5: to book additional family members, select the "continue shopping" button and follow steps 3 to 5. It is very important to select "go" after you select which family member to book. Do not use the browser back button to add items to your cart.
Non-medical masks required
As part of Strathcona County’s efforts to stop the spread of COVID-19, non-medical masks (face coverings) will be required for people (2 years of age and older) entering all County-owned buildings (including recreation centres) and transit.
8. Do mask exemptions apply in the wellness centre?Permanent link to Do mask exemptions apply in the wellness centre?
As per the Government of Alberta's guidelines, mask exemptions do not exist in the wellness centre. If you are unable to wear a mask, please contact our Fitness Technicians at email@example.com or 780-416-7229 for tips on how you can be active, outside of the facility.
9. How can I participate in a high intensity activity?Permanent link to How can I participate in a high intensity activity?
You may participate in high intensity activities if you are participating in a one on one training session with a Strathcona County Fitness Technician or a pre-approved, certified external trainer at Millennium Place on the mezzanine.
During Step 2 of the province's guidelines, only low intensity training is permitted for individuals. You should be able to comfortably wear your mask while exercising.
10. How can I put on, and take off my mask safely in the wellness centre?Permanent link to How can I put on, and take off my mask safely in the wellness centre?
Watch this video for tips from Dr. Deena Hinshaw to learn how to properly put on, and take off your mask. Wash or sanitize your hands before putting on your mask, hand sanitizer is available in all of our wellness centres or you can bring your own. We also recommend bringing a clean, resealable bag to safely place your mask while you are engaging in high intensity physical activity.
11. How can I register for an activity time slot without a credit card?Permanent link to How can I register for an activity time slot without a credit card?
If you do not have a credit card you can put credit on your account. You must phone the recreation facility you wish to visit when booking your time slot (credit on account cannot be used online).
If you are unable to attend your booking, please call back to cancel it so another guest may take your booking.
- Millennium Place - 780-416-3300
- Glen Allan Recreation Complex - 780-467-4404
- Ardrossan Recreation Complex - 780-400-2084
- Emerald Hills Leisure Centre - 780-464-2112
- Kinsmen Leisure Centre - 780-464-2112
12. How do I confirm if my time slot booking processed correctly?Permanent link to How do I confirm if my time slot booking processed correctly?
Check that your upcoming activity time slot is booked by logging into your account, and select "Bookings". If your booking is not showing, call a recreation facility or email firstname.lastname@example.org
13. What are the new wellness centre mask guidelines in place? (As of March 3, 2021)Permanent link to What are the new wellness centre mask guidelines in place? (As of March 3, 2021)
Masks must be worn at all times for individual training, including during your workout.
Thank you for your cooperation. Guests who do not follow these guidelines may be asked to leave the wellness centre.
What is a low intensity workout?
As defined by the province, a low intensity workout means performing an exercise / activity without becoming out of breath. You should be able to comfortable wear your mask while exercising.
15. What service modifications can I expect in facilities?Permanent link to What service modifications can I expect in facilities?
Remember to pre-book your activity time slot and stay home if you are sick or experiencing any symptoms of COVID-19. Please follow all posted signage in facilities and guidance provided by staff.
- Protective, plexiglass shields have been installed at all facility front desks.
- Indoor playgrounds, youth lounge, childminding, whirlpools, saunas, and steam rooms are all closed.
- Bring your own labelled water bottle, all water fountains will be unavailable but bottle fillers will be open.
- Come dressed and ready for your activity, washrooms are open but changerooms and showers are closed (except for swimming activities).
- Equipment has been moved (where possible) to accommodate 3 metre physical distancing for cardio and 2 metre physical distancing for weights. In locations where equipment could not be moved, some equipment may be marked as closed to ensure proper distancing is in place.
- Portable / personal fans will be turned off to prevent the spread of droplets and particulates.
- Equipment made of porous materials such as rope or foam will not be available.
- You may bring your own small, personal equipment such as mats or bands for your workout.
- Indoor fields, gymnasiums and dry surface spaces are available for group bookings only.