Part of being a caring dog owner includes being a responsible dog owner. You need to:

  1. Review  Strathcona County's Responsible Dog Ownership Bylaw, (185.1 KB)
  2. License your dog.
  3. Learn where you can and cannot take your dog.


Peace officer Koop and his buddy Kelso have important reminders for responsible dog owners.

Lost dogs

If the lost dog is wearing its licence tag, we will use the information in our records to try and contact the owner before the dog is transported to the Edmonton Humane Society. If an owner does not reclaim a dog within ten (10) days from the date the dog is impounded (according to Bylaw 37-2017), the dog will become the property of the Edmonton Humane Society.

If you've lost your dog, or you've found one, call 780-449-0170 Monday to Friday between 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. After hours, call 780-467-7741.

Dogs at large in rural areas

If you are experiencing stray dogs on your property, you may borrow a trap free of charge. Call 780-449-0170 for more information.

Clean up after your dog

You are responsible to pick up after your dog and dispose of the droppings in a garbage container. It's as easy as keeping a few plastic bags in your pocket. If you use a compostable bag, you can dispose of it in the organics bin.

Keeping the peace

If your dog is crying, barking or howling, it is probably a concern to people who live near you. It's up to you to make sure your dog does not disturb your neighbours.

Penalties under the bylaw

If you do not abide by the dog control bylaw, you could be fined. Fines are for first-time offences. Fines increase for subsequent offences.

Fine for not having a dog licence

  • Any dog - $250
  • Dangerous dog - $500

Examples of other fines

  • Dog barking or howling excessively - $150
  • For not picking up your dog's droppings - $150
  • Unsecured dog in vehicle - $100
  • Dog in distress - $250

A full list of offences and fines can be found in the Responsible Dog Ownership Bylaw (185.1 KB) .


  • Dog control, licensing, lost and found, complaints, over-limit permits: Strathcona County RCMP and Enforcement Services, 780-449-0170
  • Permit application for animal breeding and/or boarding facilities, hospitals or shelters: 780-464-8080
  • Edmonton Humane Society

The Responsible Dog Ownership Bylaw (37-2017)  is also available for review at Strathcona County RCMP and Enforcement Services, 911 Bison Way, Sherwood Park. A copy of the bylaw can also be purchased at Enforcement Services for $.35 per page.

Disclaimer: This webpage includes information relating to the Responsible Dog Ownership Bylaw. This information has no legal status and cannot be used as an official interpretation of the bylaw. Strathcona County accepts no responsibility for persons relying solely on this information.

More information:
Enforcement Services

Related topics

Last updated: Thursday, March 16, 2023
Page ID: 37533