Key lock box program
The Alberta Fire Code requires the installation of a Key Lock Box that is approved by the Authority Having Jurisdiction (AHJ). This is so emergency personal can access your property/building during an emergency.
As of January 1, 2017, the Knox-Box is the only approved key lock box in Strathcona County. As part of a regional collaboration, surrounding municipalities will also be implementing the Know-Box system within their jurisdiction. Municipalities using the Knox-Box include City of Edmonton, City of Spruce Grove, City of Leduc, City of Fort Saskatchewan and Strathcona County.
Benefits of a Knox-Box
- Increased security, including an optional tamper switch that can be connected to the premise's intrusion alarm.
- Decreased incidences of operational issues, such as keys stored inside jamming the exposed lock mechanisms.
- Audited trails of when the key lock box is accessed using the E-KeySecure system.
- Removed reliance on power supply or batteries like other boxes on the market that use electronic keys.
- Provides Strathcona County Emergency Services with access to your building during incident response.
Order a Knox-Box
- Go to the Knox-Box website
- Click ‘Buy’
- Search ‘Alberta’ and ‘Strathcona’
- ‘Strathcona Co Emerg Svcs’ will appear. Click on ‘select department’
- Select and configure required Knox-Box capacity:
• Standard (1-10 keys)
• Maximum (11-50)
- Mount Type: Recessed or surface
- Tamper Switch Type: Optional
- Add to cart
- Enter business name and address
- Click ‘Submit’
Complete the purchase
After you submit your order, Fire Prevention reviews the order to make sure the appropriate lock box was ordered. Once the eApproval is complete, you receive an email advising your order has been approved. You must enter payment information to complete the order. Retail cost of the standard Knox-Box is approximately $500 USD.
Installing the Knox-Box
Lock boxes must be mounted so the top of the box is 1.5 metres (five feet) from the ground and located at the principal entrance to the building. To ensure safety of your keys, lock boxes must be mounted following the manufacturer's instructions.
For multi-facility managers, boxes are recorded by serial number to specified properties. Be sure to mount the right box to the right property.
Once your lock box is installed, please call Fire Prevention at 780.449.9651 or email email@example.com to request a Fire Inspector to label and lock your keys in the lock box.
For more information