Street sweeping is underway
Signs will be posted in your neighbourhood with the dates street sweeping will occur. Please remove vehicles from the road to allow sweepers room to work.
To view a list of the order streets will be swept, visit the cleaning order.
You will notice the following steps when street sweepers are in your neighbourhood:
- Blowing materials from curb and gutter to the middle of the road
- Sweepers follow, sometimes not right away, to pick up the loose material
- Sweepers make multiple passes over the road
Every spring, crews sweep sand and dirt left on our streets from the winter season. Street sweeping usually begins in mid to late April, depending when the snow melts from residential yards and boulevards.
How long does it take?
It takes sweepers approximately 4-5 weeks to clear arterial roads and residential roads in Sherwood Park.
Crews also sweep country residential and rural grid roads; this is a longer process that can take up until the end of May.
Why doesn't the County start sweeping streets earlier?
All streets must be dry enough to clear the sand away, otherwise the sweepers will smear mud on the roads. We also need to be confident that the possibility of snow is minimal before we start sweeping the streets to avoid sanding roads that were previously swept.
How you can help
- Move any parked cars
- Sweep your sidewalk and driveway in advance
- Remove rubber driveway mats and any other on-street obstructions (basketball nets, waste collection carts, etc.)
- If street sweeping occurs on your waste collection day, please place your roll-out cart at the end of your driveway and not on the road or sidewalk
- Do not park on the street until the signs at the neighbourhood entrances have been removed
Watch for the signs!
Ask it, report it or suggest it using County Connect