Property assessment is the process of placing a dollar value on property for taxation purposes. Provincial Legislation requires that an annual market value assessment be prepared for all properties (the valuation date is July 1 of the year preceding the tax year) and that the condition of the property be recorded (the condition date is December 31 of the year preceding the tax year).
The real estate market establishes the market value of your property; we simply measure it.
The condition of the property is determined through property inspections and residential requests for information.
- Review your property assessmentReview your property assessment
- Supplementary Assessment
- Assessment complaintsAssessment complaints
If you have questions about your assessment, enter an assessment clarification request in County Connect and an assessor will contact you.
Strathcona County property assessors complete on-site property inspections on an annual basis. Assessors may knock on your door for several reasons.
- To assess new construction, newly renovated homes, or building permit inquiries
- To re-inspect property that has sold
- To complete re-inspection of a neighbourhood or property type
If residents are not home, the assessor may leave a callback card to set up a mutually agreed upon time for inspection.
Residential request for information
The residential request for information is a survey sent to property owners to supplement our annual re-inspection campaign. The survey provides an efficient customer oriented avenue for owners to provide property information.
Throughout the year, the Assessment and Tax department will send out a residential request for information to select areas. There are three options to complete the survey:
- Complete the hard copy and return it in the prepaid envelope
- Online at vps.camalot.ca/rfi. Enter your roll number and the survey key number provided on the request for information
- Call Assessment and Tax at 780-464-8196 and give the information to an assessor
Ask it, report it or suggest it using County Connect