There are many shinny hockey and stick and skate opportunities available in our Strathcona County recreation facilities. Please make sure you are aware of the below guidelines before arriving so you can have a fun and safe experience.
Shinny and stick & skate guidelines
Activity time slots are required for shinny at Ardrossan Recreation Complex, Glen Allan Recreation Complex and Millennium Place.
- Recommended for 15Y+
- Shinny is an informal, non-contact type of hockey played on ice.
- All players (EXCEPT GOALIES) must have a pre-booked time slot. Goalies can drop in and play at no charge but do require a wristband. If no goalies attend, we provide Shooter-Tutors.
- New activity time slots will be available daily at 7:00 am. Book and pay 1 day in advance.
- Cancel your activity time slot before it begins by calling the facility.
- Full ice hockey equipment is required.
Stick and Skate
Activity time slots are also required for Stick and Skate at Ardrossan Recreation Complex, Glen Allan Recreation Complex and Millennium Place.
- Two options: All Ages and Recommended 11Y-14Y
- All participants must have a pre-booked timeslot. All participants in attendance agree to the facility guidelines
- Contact the facility to book your family into a timeslot.
- New activity timeslots will be available daily at 7:00 am. Book and pay 1 day in advance.
- Cancel your activity timeslot before it begins by calling the facility.
- Helmet is required. Hockey sticks with approved rubber pucks and ringette sticks are permitted.
Recreational skating, stick & skate and shinny times
Please reference our facility admission rates for up-to-date information on fees. If you are a regular user of our ice surfaces, you can also choose to purchase an Active Pass+ membership for additional cost savings.
When arriving for your activity, quickly check in at the front desk with your name to receive your wristband.
Registering for someone else in your family
If your family member has ever participated in a registered class or membership with the county, they will be in our Reconline system. If they have been linked to your Reconline account, you will be able to select them in a drop down menu of your account to register them*.
*If your child is not appearing in your drop down, please give us a call (780-467-2211) or stop by a facility front desk and we can help with your account. If you want to book your family for the day pass rate, please call us – this option is not yet available online.
- Call 780-467-2211 to cancel your activity time slot booking if you can not make it, even if you have a monthly pass. Spots are limited, cancelling allows us to offer that spot to another individual.
- New activity time slots open for booking at 7 a.m. daily. Bookings can be made in most cases up to five days in advance.
- Each individual attending the facility with you must have a pre-booked time slot.
- You can come to the facility at any time during your time slot, but you must leave at the end of it, regardless of what time you arrived. (ex. If you book 9 a.m. to 10:30 a.m. you must leave by 10:30 a.m. even if you arrive at 9:45 a.m.)