What is a compliance?
A Statement Respecting Compliance or Compliance Certificate is confirmation from Strathcona County on whether or not development (siting and use of buildings) on a property meets with the regulations of the Land Use Bylaw. This compliance review of a property is based on a real property report of the property.

When do I need one?
A Statement Respecting Compliance is usually a condition placed on the seller by either the purchaser or their lending institution in order to protect their clients' investments. Standard real estate purchase contracts often require the seller to obtain a Statement Respecting Compliance. Strathcona County does not require you to obtain a Statement Respecting Compliance however it is provided as a service when requested.

A Statement Respecting Compliance or Compliance Certificate can be requested when:

  • real estate is sold, or purchased
  • financial institutions require a statement when approving mortgages
  • lawyers representing home buyers may request a statement
  • standard residential real estate purchase contracts

A request for a Statement Respecting Compliance must be accompanied by at least one original real property report of the subject parcel, prepared by an Alberta Land Surveyor. If the date of the real property report is not current with the date of the compliance request, the County will only verify whether or not the development shown, as of the date of the real property report, complies with the requirements of the Land Use Bylaw.

What to submit

Fax copies, unclear plans and plot plans will not be accepted

Did you know?
As a result of a review of the file for a Statement Respecting Compliance, you may be required to obtain the necessary permits for buildings constructed without permits as well as encroachments rectified or permitted under agreement with Strathcona County. An encroachment occurs when an owner's buildings, eaves, retaining walls, decks, fences etc. have been constructed on or over County or public property (utility rights-of-way or public road rights-of-way). To discuss encroachments with Strathcona County, please contact Land Management Services at 780-410-6524.

The Statement Respecting Compliance pertains only to Strathcona County's Land Use Bylaw regulations. If you require information regarding safety codes permits (building, electrical, plumbing, gas, private sewage) and inspection reports, a file search can be requested through the Building Regulations Services Branch.

More Information

Planning and Development Services
Phone: 780-464-8080
Fax: 780-464-8142
Email: planninganddevelopment@strathcona.ca

Last updated: Tuesday, January 03, 2023
Page ID: 39737