Did you know that Strathcona County offers a wide variety of outdoor skating options? Enjoy boarded rinks, snow-banked rinks and skating pathways all season long! Outdoor rinks open in early December (weather dependent).
Updates and notices
All outdoor rinks are CLOSED for the season. To ensure the well-being of our residents, guests, and staff, all Strathcona County indoor recreation and culture facilities are CLOSED and programs are CANCELLED until June 15, 2020 (or until further notice).
This proactive measure supports Alberta Health’s priority to limit larger social gatherings in our community. Learn more about what Strathcona County is doing to help stop the spread of COVID-19.
Strathcona County does not monitor the ice thickness of any stormwater ponds or natural bodies of water. Therefore, ice conditions are unknown and unpredictable. Stay safe: keep off the ice.
During the winter months, skating on outdoor rinks is a great activity to explore with friends and family. Please keep in mind that outdoor rinks are not open when temperatures are warmer than 5°C or below -20°C. For the most up-to-date information, you can sign up for our outdoor rink status newsletter .
Outdoor rinks by category
1. Skating Pathways - Sherwood Park and ruralPermanent link to Skating Pathways - Sherwood Park and rural
Heated change facilities are supervised from 4 p.m. to 9 p.m. (Mon. to Fri.) and 1 p.m. - 9 p.m. (Sat., Sun. and holidays)
- CLOSED - ArrKann Skating Pathway, located in Ardrossan Regional Park - 80 - 1 Avenue, Ardrossan
- CLOSED - Cowan Skating Pathway, located in Emerald Hills Regional Park - 4501 Emerald Drive, Sherwood Park
- CLOSED - Sin Bin Skate Track located in Broadmoor Lake Park Field - 100 Festival Way, Sherwood Park
- CLOSED - South Cooking Lake 100, 22106 South Cooking Lake Road
Sherwood Park Outdoor Rinks
Rinks with boards, lights, snowbank rinks and heated change facilities
Heated change facilities are supervised from 4 - 9 p.m. (Mon - Fri), 1 - 9 p.m. (Sat, Sun & holidays)
- CLOSED - Brentwood at 12 Falcon Drive - next to Brentwood School
- CLOSED - Emerald Hills Skating Pathway at 4501 Emerald Drive
- CLOSED - Kinsmen Park 1011 Strathcona Drive - north of Strathcona Drive & Keith Road
- CLOSED - Sherwood Heights at 225 Fir Street
- CLOSED Strathcona Athletic Park at 1100 Clover Bar Road
Minor user groups may book Kinsmen/Westboro or Sherwood Heights rinks from 6 - 7 p.m. and Strathcona Athletic Park or Brentwood rinks from 7:45 - 8:45 p.m. Monday to Thursday. Except on days with scheduled holiday hours.
Rinks with boards and lights on until 10 pm
Snowbank rinks (non-boarded)
- CLOSED - Clover Bar Ranch on Jim Common Drive North, south of Cimmaron Way
- CLOSED - Davidson Creek on Davenport Drive
- CLOSED - Fountain Creek Park at 528 Fountain Creek Boulevard
- CLOSED - Heritage Hills on Heritage Drive
- CLOSED - McPherson Park on Regency Drive
- CLOSED - Rainbow Park on Nottingham Drive
- CLOSED - Sin Bin Skate Track at Broadmoor Lake Park Field - 100 Festival Way
Rinks with boards, lights and/or shelters open until 10 p.m.
- CLOSED - Ardrossan (north side of the Ardrossan Recreation Complex) 80 - 1 Avenue, Ardrossan
- CLOSED - Deville/North Cooking Lake Wye Road, Range Road 210 just north of Deville/North Cooking Lake Community
- CLOSED - Collingwood Cove 51551 Range Road 212A
Snowbank rinks (non-boarded)
- CLOSED - ArrKann Skating Pathway located in Ardrossan Regional Park - 80 - 1 Avenue, Ardrossan
- CLOSED - Hastings Lake (Community Hall) - 51080 Range Road 204
- CLOSED - Josephburg (behind Moyer Recreation Centre) - 54569 Range Road 215
- CLOSED - South Cooking Lake (Community Hall) - 100, 22106 South Cooking Lake Road
- CLOSED - Uncas at Uncas School 21313 Township Rd 524, Ardrossan
- CLOSED - Whitecroft (Community Hall) - 314, 52313 Range Road 232
Outdoor rink map
Strathcona County outdoor rink
|Strathcona County park||Expand Map|
Booking an outdoor rink
Outdoor rink bookings are available for birthday parties or pick-up hockey games with friends 2 hours before and one hour after rink hours. Call to find out available times!
Ice bookings must be made by noon on Monday for the following week. Please call the Recreation, Parks and Culture Administration office at 780-467-2211.