Did you know that Strathcona County offers a wide variety of outdoor skating options? Enjoy boarded rinks, snow-banked rinks and skating pathways all season long! Outdoor rinks open in early December (weather dependent).
Updates & Notices
December 12, 2018
All outdoor rinks and skating pathways are now open with the exception of:
- Heritage Hills
- Fountain Creek
These rinks are under construction and will open once proper ice depths are reached.
New this season!
Skating pathways in South Cooking Lake and Broadmoor Lake Park. The Sin Bin Skating Track is located in Broadmoor Lake Park in the Salisbury Athletic Field and the Cowan Skating Pathway is located in Emerald Hills Regional Park.
For updates on outdoor rinks please call 780-467-5800.
Strathcona County does not monitor the ice thickness of any stormwater ponds or natural bodies of water. Therefore, ice conditions are unknown and unpredictable. Stay safe: keep off the ice.
During the winter months, skating on outdoor rinks is a great activity to explore with friends and family. Please keep in mind that outdoor rinks are not open when temperatures are warmer than 5°C or below -20°C. For the most up-to-date information, you can sign up for our outdoor rink status newsletter .
Outdoor Rinks by Category
Heated change facilities are supervised from 4 p.m. to 9 p.m. (Mon. to Fri.) and 1 p.m. – 9 p.m. (Sat., Sun. and holidays)
- Emerald Hills – 4501 Emerald Drive, Sherwood Park
New skating paths:
- Salisbury Athletic Park – 20 Festival Lane, Sherwood Park
- South Cooking Lake (Community Hall) – 100, 22106 South Cooking Lake Road
Rinks with boards, lights, snowbank rinks and heated change facilities
Heated change facilities are supervised from 4 - 9 p.m. (Mon – Fri), 1 – 9 p.m. (Sat, Sun & holidays)
- Brentwood at 12 Falcon Drive – next to Brentwood School
- Emerald Hills Skating Pathway at 4501 Emerald Drive
- Kinsmen Park 1011 Strathcona Drive – north of Strathcona Drive & Keith Road
- Sherwood Heights at 225 Fir Street
- Strathcona Athletic Park at 1100 Clover Bar Road
Minor user groups may book Kinsmen/Westboro or Sherwood Heights rinks from 6 – 7 p.m. and Strathcona Athletic Park or Brentwood rinks from 7:45 – 8:45 p.m. Monday to Thursday. Except on days with scheduled holiday hours.
Rinks with boards and lights on until 10 pm
- McGhan Park on Meadowview Drive
- Mills Haven at 73 Main Boulevard
Snowbank rinks (non-boarded)
- Clover Bar Ranch Jim Common Drive North, south of Cimmaron Way
- Davidson Creek on Davenport Drive
- Fountain Creek Park – 528 Fountain Creek Boulevard
- Heritage Hills on Heritage Drive
- McPherson Park on Regency Drive
- Rainbow Park on Nottingham Drive
- Salisbury Athletic Park Skating Pathway at 20 Festival Lane
Rinks with boards, lights and/or shelters open until 10 p.m.
- Ardrossan (north side of the Ardrossan Recreation Complex) 80 – 1 Avenue, Ardrossan
- Deville/North Cooking Lake -Wye Road, Range Road 210 just north of Deville/North Cooking Lake Community
- Collingwood Cove
Snowbank rinks (non-boarded)
- Colchester School (not maintained by Strathcona County) - 23358 Township Road 520
- Hastings Lake (Community Hall) – 51080 Range Road 204
- Josephburg (behind Moyer Recreation Centre) – 54569 Range Road 215
- South Cooking Lake (Community Hall) - 100, 22106 South Cooking Lake Road
- Uncas at Uncas School
- Whitecroft (Community Hall) – 314, 52313 Range Road 232
Strathcona County Outdoor Rink
|Strathcona County Park||Expand Map|
Outdoor Rink Map
Booking an Outdoor Rink
Outdoor rink bookings are available for birthday parties or pick-up hockey games with friends 2 hours before and one hour after rink hours. Call to find out available times!
Ice bookings must be made by noon on Monday for the following week. Please call the Recreation, Parks and Culture Administration office at 780-467-2211.