Free recreation opportunities
Please note: many of the opportunities listed in the calendar below require pre-registration to participate. Click on the event link for more information.
Scheduled free activities
- Explore Strathcona County's extensive trail system.
- Go for a nature walk at the Strathcona Wilderness Centre. (Dogs not permitted.)
- Visit the Riverside Nature Trail and Strathcona County Regional Trail.
- Get your bike out or go for a stroll along the Cycling Map's featured routes.
- Learn more about the Beaverhills Biosphere and explore its trails and parks.
Parks and playgrounds
- Find a park or playground in your neighbourhood or venture somewhere you've never been before.
Dog off-leash areas
- Take your dog for a walk in of the County's well maintained, off-leash areas.
Tobogganing - seasonal
- Here's a list of toboggan hills in Strathcona County. Grab your sled and head out to a local hill for some great tobogganing fun.
Outdoor skating - seasonal
- Outdoor rinks are scheduled to open mid-December, weather dependent.
Cross country skiing in green spaces - seasonal
- NEW! Cross country ski at Broadmoor Public Golf Course.
- Make your own tracks and go cross country skiing in one of Strathcona County's parks or green spaces.
- Please note: trail passes are required for cross country skiing at the Strathcona Wilderness Centre.
- Find at-home free activity ideas to support you and your family.
Art in the County
- Admission to Strathcona County's art gallery, Gallery@501, is free (suggested donation only). Gallery@501 is located in the Community Centre (Sherwood Park) and have scheduled new exhibits and programs throughout the year. Gallery@501 will be closed as of December 9 due to the new provincial restrictions in place, check back for updates.
- Check out the paintings, sculptures and other treasures in Strathcona County's extensive Art Collection. Discover our collection of public art using the online map or view the entire collection, which includes 46 works by youth.
Everybody Gets to Play, Play Days - seasonal
- Free, outdoor family friendly activities scheduled throughout the year.