Dog off-leash areas
Dog off-leash areas now open
- Gates at the dog parks are no longer locked open. Wash your hands at home before and after visiting the dog park, bring hand sanitizer with you and avoid touching your face.
- Washrooms are CLOSED at Deermound Off-leash Park
Learn more about how to stay safe and stop the spread of Covid-19 when outdoors.
Where can I take my dog on a leash?
Dogs are allowed in most parks with the requirements of the Responsible Dog Ownership Bylaw being met.
Where can't I take my dog?
Dogs are not permitted in the following areas
- playgrounds (sand, or any base, beneath playground equipment)
- tennis courts
- spray decks
- floral gardens
- the Strathcona Wilderness Centre
- artificial turf sports fields
Year-round off-leash areas
Deermound Off-leash Park
23020 Twp Rd 522 – the parking lot is on the south side of the road
Deermound was the name of a post office established in the Hillsdale area in 1911 and also for a stopping place along the old Edmonton Trail. Now, over 100 years later, County Council gave the name Deermound to the popular dog park.
Deermound Off-Leash Park is not fully fenced.There is fencing around the access area from the parking lot, but the outer perimeter is not fully enclosed.
Fenced in, small dog area at Deermound Dog Park
Please enjoy this area if your dog is:
- Less than 30 pounds
- A less active, senior dog
- More comfortable around small dogs
Use of this area is at the owner’s discretion. All other off-leash rules apply.
Ardrossan Regional Park Off-Leash Area
80-1 Avenue, Ardrossan
Located behind the Ardrossan Recreation Complex, this off-leash park offers dog owners a fully-enclosed, fenced area and is part of the Ardrossan Regional Park.
Sally Stewart Park Off-Leash Area
Broadview Drive – East of Fun Park Amusement Centre
Sally Stewart Park is named after the first woman elected to Strathcona County Council in 1965. In 2013, Council approved the motion to name the regional park after her. The off-leash area within Sally Stewart Park is fully-fenced and opened on November 16, 2018.
Heritage Hills Off-Leash Area
260 Heritage Drive
A fully-enclosed fenced area on the south side of Heritage Drive.
Seasonal off-leash areas
Enjoy our seasonal neighbourhood off-leash locations:
From November 1 to April 1
- Emerald Hills Diamond #1 (4501 Emerald Drive)
From May 1 to October 1
- New, temporary site: Brentwood Boarded Rink (28 Heron Road)
- McGhan Park Boarded Rink (441 Meadowview Court)
- Kinsmen/Westboro Boarded Rink (1011 Strathcona Drive)
- Cottonwood Park (290 Fir Street)
- Safety for all – Have control of your dog at all times.
- Leash up – Dogs must be on a leash in the parking lot.
- Be present – Know what your dog is doing at all times.
Responsible Dog Ownership Bylaw
Learn more about your responsibility as a dog owner. Get the electronic version of the Responsible Dog Ownership Bylaw or call Bylaw Services at 780-449-0170.
Popular pages Permanent link to popular-pages
Ask it, report it or suggest it using County Connect