Transit information for students
Riding with transit during COVID-19
Transit takes your safety seriously. Throughout the pandemic, Transit has been working hard to keep our buses and terminals clean and sanitized, ensuring the highest standards of cleanliness are maintained.
Everyone has a part to play in keeping each other safe, to that end, masks are required on all transit buses and in all County facilities, including our Transit terminals. Please wear your mask!
To find out everything transit is doing during this COVID-19 pandemic, visit Riding with us
Strathcona County Transit provides transportation to students attending schools within Sherwood Park or in Edmonton.
Fall U-Pass Program Update
Regional municipalities have been working collaboratively with the participating U-Pass Student's Associations since the end of June. Due to the majority of fall classes being offered online, all 10 parties agreed that Fall 2020 U-Passes will not be issued.
COVID-19 has presented unique financial challenges for everyone, and the suspension of the Fall U-Pass is a temporary adjustment due to the pandemic. Students residing in Strathcona County can take advantage of a number of alternative discounted fare options, including:
Monthly Youth Commuter pass for $81.40 per month
Youth Commuter Ticket Book (package of 10) for $34.90
Subsidized Everybody Rides Program (must qualify through Family and Community service)
Regional partners value the importance of our relationships with the post-secondary institutions and student unions. A decision regarding the Winter 2021 U-Pass will be made in the coming months.
- University of Alberta: Routes 404 and 414
- NAIT: Route 413
- MacEwan City Centre: Routes 401, 411, and 413
We encourage all transit passengers to take local transit instead of utilizing the park and ride lots. Local transit is included with your U-Pass. Parking is at a premium and taking your local route generally adds no more than 15 minutes to your trip during peak travel times.
Visit the Schedules and routes page for trip times and route maps.
For other schools, students should use a combination of Strathcona County Transit and Edmonton Transit.
To plan your trip call 780-464-RIDE (7433) or use Google Maps.
Use Google Maps to plan your trip
- Go to Google Maps
- Select the "Directions" bent arrow at the top of the screen
- Select the transit icon from the top of the menu
- Enter your starting point and destination
U-Pass holders have access to unlimited travel on Strathcona County Transit, St. Albert Transit, Edmonton Transit, Fort Saskatchewan Transit, Spruce Grove Transit and Leduc Transit. Qualifying post-secondary students can pick up a U-Pass through their institution.
Participating institutions include:
- Valid at all times during fall (September to December), winter (January to April) and spring/summer* (May to August) terms.
- U-Pass holders do not need to purchase regular transit passes.
*Not all institutions/programs participate in the spring/summer session. Please confirm with your institution regarding their participation.
What if I do not qualify for a U-Pass?
You can purchase a youth/student commuter pass available at all Strathcona County Transit vendors. Passes are valid for youth 17-years-old and younger or for those with a valid student ID.
Local high school students
Strathcona County Transit provides bus service to Archbishop Jordan Catholic High School (ABJ). All other high school students are provided with bussing service options through their school boards. ABJ students can take the following routes:
- Route 430 - Fall 2019 (254.0 KB) to get to school from Bethel Transit Terminal
- Route 431 - Fall 2019 (239.3 KB) after school to return to Bethel Transit Terminal
- Route 433A - Fall 2019 (195.7 KB) for students who live in Charlton Heights, Lakeland Ridge, Chelsea Heights, Clarkdale Meadows and Davidson Creek. This route goes directly to ABJ.
For students traveling to other schools within Sherwood park, please visit bus schedules and routes for complete local route information.
Archbishop Jordan students who are part of the school-supplied pass program who have lost their pass will no longer receive free replacement passes. Transit is not able to provide these students with their replacement passes, however the school board will assist you during regular business hours. They are located at:
Elk Island Catholic Schools
310 Broadview Rd
Sherwood Park, AB
Important reminders for students:
- Plan to be at your stop a minimum of five minutes before the bus is scheduled to arrive.
- Bus passes are provided to qualifying students by the school board. Contact your school for more information.
- Don’t forget your bus pass.
- Passes are only valid for the month indicated on the front.