Here's what we heard?
Thanks to everyone who took our survey. We now how the summary report from our December survey. We are happy to report that riders have improved satisfaction with the new app. To find out more about how those who took the survey feel about On-demand Transit service, please see the On-demand transit report (202.8 KB) . We will be using this feedback to help us make future decisions on how on-demand transit will be used in our community.
25' buses to join the On-demand fleet soon
Starting in early February we will begin to pilot the smaller accessible mobility buses as part of the on-demand fleet. These 25' buses are the perfect size to carry the number of passengers we often carry on the average on-demand trip (maximum 7 -8) and as such will allow for new efficiencies. These buses are completely accessible for all mobility needs and can accommodate multiple scooters, walkers or chairs, and have two child safety seats. When booking your trip, please continue to indicate if you will be requiring an accessible space or a child safety seat. (A helpful how to use the child safety seat video is available below). When riding the smaller buses all passengers are required to wear the provided seatbelts according to Alberta traffic laws.
We will continue to be using both 40' Nova buses and these new 25' accessible buses.
Bus digital displays now show bus numbers
To help customers more easily identify which bus they are looking for, bus unit numbers are now being displayed on the digital displays on the front and side of each buses. This number may coincide with the unit number painted on the bus, but it may also differ. The number on the digital display is the one you are looking for to match up with the number provided for you in your app and notices.
Hours of operation
Monday to Friday: 7:15 p.m. – 12:15 a.m.
Saturday: 6:15 a.m. – 12:15 a.m.
Sunday: 7:15 a.m. – 8:15 p.m.
Customer Service phoneline hours of operation:
Daily 7a.m. - 7 p.m.
How to book your trip
You can pre-book your trip 5 days before your desired travel day until 7 p.m. the day before. Pre-booked trips must be booked a minimum of a day in advance.
Day-of travel is truly on-demand. If booking on the day-of-travel, you cannot pre-book. Use the online tool here, or the app within 30 minutes of your desired travel time.
On Saturday and Sunday, you can also call 780-464-RIDE (7433) between 7 a.m. - 7 p.m. to book within 30 minutes of your desired travel time.
You can book your trips by:
Using the App
- Create your profile making sure you have enabled notifications and your locations.
- The is your most flexible option! You can pre-book your trips 5 days in advance or on-demand
You will need to create an account to book your trips.
For best results, use Google Chrome. Ensure you allow your browser you use to access your location.
- When creating an account through with web tool, you will need to get a verification code. If you are using a landline as your phone number, wait for the timer to expire and click "problem receiving code?"
- Then select, "Call me instead" you will receive a 6-digit verification code and be able to proceed with setting up your account.
- If you do not have a phone to receive a call you can select "contact support". An email will be sent to Transit that will be responded to during regular customer service hours, 7 a.m. - 7 p.m. Monday to Friday and 8 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. Saturday.
Call 780-464-7433 to pre-book your trip 7 a.m. to 7 p.m., Monday to Sunday. (Day-of trips travelling after 7 p.m. must be booked using the online web tool or App. You can use the account set up by our CSRs online and in the app. )
On Saturday and Sunday you can call to book your on-demand trip within 30 minutes of your desired travel time between 7 a.m. and 7 p.m.
On-Demand service fares remain the same as our current fares. You can use:
- local or commuter bus passes
- local or commuter tickets
- the Arc card
- local one-way cash fare: $3.25
- commuter one-way cash fare is $6.50
Make sure you ask for a transfer if you are travelling to downtown Edmonton.
You will need to pay when you ride your bus. In-app payment is not available.
Timing your trips
When booking advanced trips:
If you need to be somewhere at a specific time, specify “Arrive by” when scheduling your trip. Watch the pick-up time notifications for any changes.
Use “Depart at” when you know the time you want to leave but have more flexibility with arrival time. With these options, arrival times could change depending on demand.
You will receive a pick-up window and an estimated time of arrival. Please always be at the stop before the pick-up window. The bus could arrive with that window, and it can’t wait.
Travelling time to Edmonton
- When booking a trip to catch either the Route 411 or 414 at Bethel to go to Edmonton, book an "Arrive by" trip 10-15 minutes (:00 or :05) prior to your bus departing to ensure you arrive in time to catch the departing bus.
Coming home to Sherwood Park
- When booking your local Sherwood Park trip for the arriving Route 411 or 414 (ten minutes after the hour), we recommend booking your local bus approximately between the :10 and :20 after the hour, using the “Depart At” setting. This allows for traffic delays to make your on-demand connection.
- If you are riding the final 411 from Edmonton to Sherwood Park at the end of the night, there is no need to book your trip home. There will be an on-demand bus waiting at the Bethel Transit Terminal ready to take you home.
Cancelling modifying your trip
If you need to modify the time of an existing trip this can be done within the app, web tool or by calling customer service 7 a.m. - 7 p.m. daily.
If you need to change the pick-up or drop-off location of an existing trip, please cancel it and re-book. A new location is considered a new trip.
Always cancel your trip if you no longer need it. Other people may need that spot.
To cancel your trip:
For a pre-booked trip, go to the Scheduled Rides page via the menu icon in the upper left-hand corner. From this page, you can cancel your ride.
For a day-of trip:
You can cancel a ride once you have
booked your ride and you see that the driver in on the way by following these steps:
- Head to the Waiting for Vehicle screen.
- Click on the Cancel Ride button located at the bottom of the screen.
Booking with the new web app tool
Find the closest bus stop
We’ve included a lot of popular destinations in the app, but if your destination is not there, type your desired destination into the app. The App will figure out the closest bus stop, complete with walking directions to the bus stop.
No trip available in the system, what happened?
If the app shows that a trip is not available, first make sure you are trying to book a trip within the hours of the service.
Otherwise, the buses may be busy or temporarily offline. Try booking again in a few minutes or call Customer Service at 780-464-RIDE (7433).
Booking for other people
You may book a trip for other people if you are travelling with them. If they are travelling on their own, they must create their own account to ride.
Buses have ramps and two designated secure mobility device locations. If you need one of these spots, please make sure you note it on your trip request to ensure we have one reserved for you.
Both types of buses have bike racks. You must be able to place and remove your own bike onto the rack. The Operator is not allowed to get off the bus to help you with this.
Service animals are always welcome, as required by law.
Small pets in a secure carrier or cage that travels on the owner's lap are allowed on the bus. However, larger carriers that take up a seat or block the aisle, are not allowed.
Starting in 2024 you may see two different types of buses on your on-demand trip: the standard 40' nova buses, or the 25' accessible buses currently branded "Mobility Bus". If one of these smaller buses comes up to your stop, watch for the pink sign in the window to the right of the door. It will indicate that that bus in in fact being used as a on-demand bus. These buses are 100% accessible for your mobility needs.
Safety and accessibility
General safety aboard on-demand
When riding the 25' buses, all riders are required to wear seatbelts. There are also 1 or 2 built-in safety seats for children, and mobility devices can be secured to the floor. All buses have are equipped with surveillance cameras and follow the same 'Safe Bus' protocols as our 40' buses in the evenings providing you the opportunity to request an alternate stop closer to your desired destination.
Child safety on-board
The On Demand Transit 25' buses are designed for passengers of all ages.
- You can bring a child in a stroller onto the bus, but they may not remain in seated in the stroller once the bus is in motion.
- There is space on board for multiple strollers, they must be folded down and stowed away appropriately.
- You must bring your own infant safety carrier for those children who weigh less than 20 pounds or 9 kilograms.
- Bucket style infant carriers should be buckled into the seat belt provided.
- Wagons are not allowed on buses as the wheels do not lock and can be a safety issue. If you have a collapsable wagon, you may bring it on board, but it must collapsed and stowed.
- Each 25' bus is equipped with 1 or 2 built in safety seats that you must strap young children into for safety purposes. The Alberta Traffic Safety Act requires passengers of all ages to wear seatbelts or use approved safety seats in vehicles like these. Children 22- 78 lbs must use the provided booster seats at the front of the bus. Caregivers are responsible for securing their children. The instructional video below will help you use these simple seats.
Terms and conditions
- Privacy statement
- Freedom of Information Privacy statement:
Personal information is collected under the authority of section 33(c) of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act and will be used in the management and administration of Strathcona County’s On-Demand Transit Pilot Program and for purposes of evaluation of the pilot program. Account and trip information may be migrated to a permanent version of a future On-Demand Transit Program if required. If you have any questions about the collection or use of your personal information, please contact Transit Analyst and Scheduler at 780-410-8526.