Outdoor pursuits programs
Winter outdoor pursuits programs
Register today for outdoor pursuits programs. Visit Recreation Online to view the program schedule and register.
Registration tip: Log into your Recreation Online account before searching for programs or adding them to your cart.
Learn about the changes in place and different class formats to help prevent the spread of COVID-19 in our community below.
The Winter Season is upon us. Our team at the Strathcona Wilderness Centre is excited to offer several winter outdoor pursuit opportunities. Registration is now open. Register in a program or contact the Strathcona Wilderness Centre for a group program booking 780-922-3939.
Several modifications have been made to our programs to adhere to Alberta Health Services guidelines to prevent the spread of COVID-19 in our community. The safety of our staff and participants is a top priority.
Cross country skiing
Strathcona County cross country ski programs support the Long-Term Athlete Development model, which aligns with the developmental abilities of participants based on their age. This model promotes the physical and social well-being of the participant.
Progression is as follows:
- Active Start
- Learning to Train
- Training to Train
- Active for Life (found in Teens and adults)
All programs are led by qualified instructors and coaches.
- Cross country skiing
- Dryland training for cross country skiing
For a group program booking, please contact the Strathcona Wilderness Centre at 780-922-3939 and our Customer Service Representatives will assist you.
Procedures and guidelines
Please take note of the new procedures and guidelines in place for our programs to help prevent the spread of COVID-19 in our community.
- All of our programs will take place in an outdoor setting.
- Participants will be asked to do a self-check prior to arriving at our program. Anyone who is sick or experiencing any symptoms of COVID-19 must stay home.
- Participants will be asked a series of COVID-19 pre-screening questions upon arrival at each program.
- Participants will be asked to wash or sanitize their hands prior to arriving at our programs.
- Hand sanitizer will be available at each program site.
- Participants will keep at least 2 meters (6 feet) distance away from people outside of their cohort or household.
- All program supplies and equipment will be sanitized between each use. Equipment that can not be properly sanitized, will be for one time use and either disposed of or sent home with the participants.
- Please come dressed for the program and pre-fill your water bottles at home. Water taps are available however drinking fountains are not.
Staff are required to fill out a COVID-19 pre-screening questionnaire prior to the start of their shift. If they do not meet all the requirements of the questionnaire, they will be required to stay home, and another staff member will be scheduled for the program.
Frequently asked questions
1. Are there bathroom facilities available for use?Permanent link to Are there bathroom facilities available for use?
Programs at the Strathcona Wilderness Centre will have access to bathrooms in the Information Centre. All individuals 3 years of age or older are required to wear a mask while inside any Strathcona County facility.
For outdoor programs offered off-site, there may not be washrooms available. Please plan to go to the washroom before arriving at your off-site program.
How can I book a program for a group?
For a group program booking please contact the Strathcona Wilderness Centre at 780-922-3939 and our Customer Service Representatives will assist you in your booking.
How do I register for a program?
4. What do I need to know about arriving at and finishing my program?Permanent link to What do I need to know about arriving at and finishing my program?
Please arrive at the program site a maximum of 10 minutes before the program start time and please depart shortly after. Our staff will be there to greet and assist you with any questions you may have.
Registered programs update - January 8
All indoor, in person, registered programs continue to be on hold due to the provincial restrictions currently in place. All affected registered participants will be contacted directly and receive an automatic pro-rated refund.
Programs that are still running include:
- Virtual programs – register today!
- Cross country skiing lessons at the Strathcona Wilderness Centre
- Outdoor pop-up preschool programs – register today!
Ask it, report it or suggest it using County Connect