Outdoor pursuits programs
Registered programs update
The Government of Alberta announced further restrictions on May 4. Here is a listing of what programs are currently available:
- Virtual programs are available for all ages, including adult group fitness classes, preschool, virtual and performing arts.
- Outdoor programs will run as scheduled until Sunday, May 9 except outdoor preschool programs which are cancelled effective May 5. All remaining outdoor programs will be cancelled beginning Monday, May 10.
The following programs have been CANCELLED:
- All indoor in-person programs (sports, fitness, visual arts, performing arts, outdoor pursuits, swimming) are cancelled.
- All individual and family swimming lessons are cancelled. All swimming lessons scheduled for May have been moved to June, learn more.
- Outdoor preschool programs including Sportball.
- Outdoor programs (youth, fitness, visual arts) will be cancelled beginning Monday, May 10.
If a class or program is cancelled, all registered participants will be notified. All affected participants will be automatically issued a pro-rated refund (where applicable) or a credit on their account.
All outdoor programs running until May 9 meet the provincial guidelines in place to help stop the spread of COVID-19 in our community.
Spring is upon us! Our team at the Strathcona Wilderness Centre is excited to offer several outdoor pursuit opportunities. Registration is now open. Register in a program using Recreation Online or contact the Strathcona Wilderness Centre for a group program booking by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or calling 780-922-3939.
Several modifications have been made to our programs to adhere to the current provincial guidelines to stop the spread of COVID-19 in our community. The safety of our staff and participants is a top priority.
Registered programs - Spring registration starts Monday, March 22 at 7 a.m.
- Outdoor programs for younger participants
- Parented programs
- Building fairyhouses
- Wilderness skills
- Outdoor programs for families
- Interpretive hike
- Owl prowl
- Earth Day
- Tie dye
- Outdoor programs for teens
- Disc golf
- Wilderness skills
- Dryland training
- Outdoor programs for adults
- Disc golf
- Trail walking
- Interpretive hike
- Knife skills
- Outdoor programs for homeschoolers
- Outdoor skills
Please contact the Strathcona Wilderness Centre at 780-922-3939 or email@example.com and our Customer Service Representatives will assist you.
Procedures and guidelines
Please take note of the new procedures and guidelines in place for our programs to help prevent the spread of COVID-19 in our community.
- All of our programs will take place in an outdoor setting.
- Participants will be asked to do a self-check prior to arriving at our program. Anyone who is sick or experiencing any symptoms of COVID-19 must stay home.
- Participants will be asked a series of COVID-19 pre-screening questions upon arrival at each program.
- Participants will be asked to wash or sanitize their hands prior to arriving at our programs.
- Hand sanitizer will be available at each program site.
- Participants will keep at least 3 meters (10 feet) distance away from people outside of their cohort or household.
- All program supplies and equipment will be sanitized between each use. Equipment that can not be properly sanitized, will be for one time use and either disposed of or sent home with the participants.
- Please come prepared and dress for the weather / activity you will be participating in. Pre-fill your water bottles at home. Water taps are available however drinking fountains are not.
Staff are required to fill out a COVID-19 pre-screening questionnaire prior to the start of their shift. If they do not meet all the requirements of the questionnaire, they will be required to stay home, and another staff member will be scheduled for the program.
Frequently asked questions
1. Are there bathroom facilities available for use?Permanent link to Are there bathroom facilities available for use?
Programs at the Strathcona Wilderness Centre will have access to bathrooms in the Information Centre. All individuals 3 years of age or older are required to wear a mask while inside any Strathcona County facility.
For outdoor programs offered off-site, there may not be washrooms available. Please plan to go to the washroom before arriving at your off-site program.
How can I book a program for a group?
For a group program booking please contact the Strathcona Wilderness Centre at 780-922-3939 or email firstname.lastname@example.org and our Customer Service Representatives will assist you in your booking.
How do I register for a program?
4. What do I need to know about arriving at and finishing my program?Permanent link to What do I need to know about arriving at and finishing my program?
Please arrive at the program site a maximum of 10 minutes before the program start time and please depart shortly after. Our staff will be there to greet and assist you with any questions you may have.
Ask it, report it or suggest it using County Connect