Bremner House tours unavailable
Bremner House is currently not available for tours as construction begins at the site for the County’s new multi-purpose agricultural facility.
Bremner House is located in Strathcona County, northeast of Sherwood Park.
- The house is located on 80 acres on Township 53452 Range Road 225, 2.25 miles north of the Yellowhead Highway 16.
- Built around 1912 or 1913 by Charles Bremner, the house is 5,400 square feet.
- Other buildings include a shop and garage, and a Quonset storage shed.
Strathcona County purchased the Bremner House in 2004 to preserve a piece of the community's heritage for future generations.
News releases and Resources
- Bremner House on Provincial Register of Historic Places
- Council designates Bremner House a municipal historic resources, the County's first (June 30, 2009)
J.C.C. (James Charles Chatterton) Bremner, born in 1867, emigrated to Canada from Scotland, and took up a homestead at Clover Bar in October 1885. He and his wife were the main residents of Bremner House from about 1913 to 1928.
Bremner House Heritage Site plans
- Public engagement was held to discuss possible uses for Bremner House, and the site surrounding it.
- Bremner House Heritage Site Master Plan was completed.
- Bremner House was designated a historic resource.
- Some restoration of Bremner House was completed to secure and protect the house.
- An Advisory Board representing community groups was established to provide insight and advice to administration on how to continue the work in the Master Plan and consider the input of all current stakeholders.
Visits to this site are by appointment only.