Stop the spread of noxious weeds

Under Alberta’s Weed Control Act, weed inspectors are authorized and required to enter private property to inspect for noxious and prohibited noxious weeds.  

Starting in June, our weed inspectors will be out actively inspecting all properties within Strathcona County. 

All homeowners have a responsibility to help stop the spread of weeds that can be harmful to the environment and public and private property.

Last modified: June 15, 2022, 10:21 a.m.
Weed inspector working in a field

Transportation and Agriculture Service's annual Weed Inspection Program assists in controlling the spread of noxious weeds. 

Enforcing the Weed Control Act

Even though some noxious weeds have attractive flowers, they are a serious concern in Alberta and must be controlled as required under the Alberta Weed Control Act. Since these plants are destructive to our natural habitat, the province requires that all residents stop the growth and spread of noxious weeds on their property. 

It is Strathcona County's responsibility to enforce the Weed Control Act in an effort to limit the spread of noxious weeds. We do that with the help of our weed inspectors during the summer.

Primary role of a weed inspector:

  • Be a weed information resource for the residents of Strathcona County.
  • Inspect all public and private lands for noxious and restricted weeds.
  • Respond to and follow up on complaints.
  • Issue weed notices in accordance with the Weed Control Act and follow through on compliance.

Weed inspectors can also: 

  • Assist residents in identifying weeds on their property.
  • Help residents choose the most effective method(s) to control their weeds.
  • Provide information or other resources about native plants.
  • Give presentations about noxious weeds, ornamental noxious weeds, or the Weed Inspection Program in Strathcona County.
  • Work with landowners to create a weed management plan for highly infested areas of land. 

Resident responsibilities:

  • Familiarize yourself with the plants found on the noxious weed list.
  • Monitor your property regularly for noxious plants.
  • Ensure you do not allow noxious and prohibited noxious weeds to grow or flower on your property. Control weeds early.
  • Prevent the spread of weed seeds by limiting the movement of contaminated hay, wood chips, gravel, manure and soil. One of the most common methods of moving weed seed is contaminated mud that gets tracked on your vehicle.
  • Do not plant wild flower seed mixes - these are most often contaminated with noxious weeds.

We appreciate and welcome residents’ assistance in looking after their own property, reporting weeds they see on public lands, and sharing their knowledge with friends and neighbours.

Strathcona County also does its part by looking after public land, ditches and right of ways with our Rural Roadside Vegetation Control Program.

Weed Notices

A weed notice is a legal document issued by Strathcona County Weed Inspectors notifying a property owner of weed infestations. As a landowner, it is your responsibility to control noxious weeds on your property. If you do not, the County will undertake this work at your expense.

Frequently asked questions

County Connect

Ask a question, report it or suggest it using County Connect

Further information:

Last updated: Wednesday, June 15, 2022
Page ID: 44343