My waste collection was missed or stickered
Weekly collection occurs between 7:30 a.m. and 9 p.m. Recycling may be collected at a different time than your roll-out cart.
If your waste and recycling were properly packaged and not picked up please call Utilities after 9 p.m. on your collection day. Leave a message with your name, phone number and address. Then, place your waste and recycling outside by 7:30 a.m. the next day for collection.
Call Utilities the next business day between 8:30 a.m. and 10 a.m. to speak with a customer service representative. Put your waste and recycling out after phoning.
Improperly packaged waste and recycling
Strathcona County waste collectors will not collect waste if any of the following errors occur:
- carts were placed too close to each other or to another object
- waste was incorrectly separated
- incorrect cart was placed out for collection (i.e. organics cart was out during a waste collection week)
- recyclables were incorrectly packaged
- cart lid did not close properly because the cart was overfilled
- unacceptable materials were found in the respective carts or blue bags
If Strathcona County waste collectors notice any of the above problems, they may place a sticker on the waste bin. The sticker will detail the reason why the waste was not picked up. These stickers help educate residents on proper waste sorting.
If your waste or recycling has an "oops" sticker, please repackage your waste or recycling according to the sticker's instructions and place it out on your next scheduled collection day.
Friendly reminders for collection day
- Leave a full metre of clearance on all sides around the cart. This includes leaving a full meter between each cart.
- Check your Collection Schedule for your collection day. This is a fixed day.
- Check your Collection Schedule to see which week to put out your green cart with organics or your black cart with waste. Recycling is picked up every week.
- Have all materials out by 7:30 a.m.
- Recycling may be picked up at a different time than waste or organics.
- If you live in rural Strathcona County, make sure your house number is clearly visible from the road.
Newly built neighbourhoods
One of the challenges in neighbourhoods under construction is that sometimes construction activities block roadways and waste and recycling vehicles cannot get to homes.
We are working with the contractor to reduce missed collection. If your weekly collection was missed, please call us and let us know by 10 a.m. the next business day. Remember to leave your waste or recycling out. We appreciate your patience.