Youth and young adults survey
About the study
Strathcona County Council is interested in learning about the needs and opportunities for youth and young adults between the ages of 14 to 29. Council approved a Youth Needs and Assets Assessment study that will help address the best ways our youth can experience our community’s social framework goals of affordability, access to programs and services, connectedness and inclusion, and safety.
We are conducting surveys from May 22 to July 1. The surveys are gathering information from three groups:
- Youth and young adults that live in Strathcona County and are between the ages of 14-29.
- Parents of youth and young adults in Strathcona County between the ages of 14-29.
- Organizations and agencies that support youth and young adults in Strathcona County between the ages of 14-29.
This is an opportunity for youth, young adults, parents, and community partners to share their thoughts and opinions on needs, opportunities, and areas for growth in the county. All feedback will help the County support decision-making and identify policy changes that support youth and young adults to thrive in our community.
Share your thoughts and help create the community you want to live in!
I am a youth or young adult between the ages of 14 and 29 and I live in Strathcona County.
- Complete the youth and young adult survey to provide insight into what is important to you! This survey takes about 3-5 minutes to complete.
- If you have more time, please consider completing this longer youth and young adult survey which asks a few more questions and will take about 15-20 minutes to complete.
- Join us for an in-person conversation to share your thoughts and ideas.
I am a parent or guardian of a youth or young adult between the ages of 14 and 29 and we live in Strathcona County.
Complete the parent survey to share your thoughts around supports and services you believe your youth or young adult could benefit from. This survey takes about 3-5 minutes to complete.
If you have more time, please consider completing this longer parent survey which asks a few more questions and will take about 15-20 minutes to complete.
Join us for an in-person conversation to share your thoughts and ideas.
I work for an agency or am a service provider that supports youth and young adults who live in Strathcona County.
- Complete the agency survey to share your thoughts around supports and services in Strathcona County and what youth and young adults could benefit from.
Join the conversation
Get notified of other opportunities to share your thoughts about youth needs in Strathcona County.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. How long will it take to complete the survey? Permanent link to How long will it take to complete the survey?
We know that you're busy and want to respect your schedule. The online surveys should take about 10-15 minutes to complete and are mobile-friendly so you can participate whenever and wherever it's most convenient for you. The surveys will be open until June 16th. It's important that we hear your voice, so please take some time to fill it out!
2. Is the survey confidential? Permanent link to Is the survey confidential?
Yes. We are committed to your privacy and any information or responses you provide will not be linked back to you as an individual. Responses from surveys will be reported in aggregate, meaning that they get combined with everyone else's responses and we look at the overall trends. We may ask you questions about your age, gender, and other demographic-type questions, but that is only to help us better understand the needs and opportunities for different groups of people.
3. What if I fit into more than one category for the survey? Permanent link to What if I fit into more than one category for the survey?
We know that it's possible for people to fit into more than one category for the survey, for example, maybe you are 25 and you also work with youth and young adults so you would be able to fill out the youth and young adult survey as well as the agency survey. We encourage you to fill out all the surveys that apply to you. We know this is time-consuming but your opinions are important to us and will help create the community that you want to live in!
4. What is the purpose of the project? Permanent link to What is the purpose of the project?
There are many pressures on people ages 14-29, and they have different experiences and perspectives than other generations. Strathcona County wants to find out more by having conversations with youth and young adults in the community. Over the spring and summer, we will be conducting research through surveys and in-person focus groups/workshops to talk to youth and young adults about what life is like for them in the County. We will also be engaging with parents of youth and service providers or agencies who provide youth/young adult services and programming.
Through this research, we want to find out more about the opportunities that exist for youth and young adults in Strathcona County, and about their needs so we can do a better job of meeting them. Ultimately, through this research, we will provide recommendations that will go to Council for consideration, to help improve overall quality of life for the youth and young adult generation.
5. What types of research are you doing? Permanent link to What types of research are you doing?
There are a couple of ways you can participate in this research.
- There are online surveys:
- There will also be in-person focus groups or workshops held in the County over spring/summer 2019. These focus groups or workshops will be facilitated discussions led by a consulting team, who want to talk to youth/young adults, parents, and service providers in the community. You can see a list of upcoming events above or sign up for our e-newsletter to get updates!
6. Where can I find information about local support? Permanent link to Where can I find information about local support?
Information about local supports and resources is available online here or by calling Family and Community Services at 780-464-4044.