All new and modified accesses (driveways) that connect to roads under Strathcona County jurisdiction are subject to the approval of Strathcona County.
You will need to submit an application form to Strathcona County if you are planning to do any of the following:
- Build a first approach
- Add a new (second) approach
- Create a temporary access approach
- Modify an existing access approach on your property
Review the policy, procedure and application form:
- Access Guideline Policy (44.3 KB)
- Access Guideline Procedures (109.2 KB)
- Property Access Approach - Application (441.5 KB)
If approved, the approach must be constructed to Strathcona County specifications and must receive final approval. Any access approach not approved by Strathcona County will be removed at the expense of the registered landowner.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. When do I need to submit an Access Approach application?Permanent link to When do I need to submit an Access Approach application?
If you are making any changes to your existing driveway/access you will need to submit an Access Approach application form to Transportation and Agriculture Services.
2. What are the associated costs with applying for a second access?Permanent link to What are the associated costs with applying for a second access?
- Site inspection fee (due with application) - $75.00
- New (second) access approach - $3,000.00 + GST
- Create a temporary access approach - $3,500.00 + GST (refundable deposit)
3. Does the County build the second access?Permanent link to Does the County build the second access?
No, all construction of the access is the responsibility of the landowner.
4. What happens if I build without a permit or leaving a deposit?Permanent link to What happens if I build without a permit or leaving a deposit?
The County can issue a Stop Work order and, in certain situations, remove the access.
5. I live in Sherwood Park - can I have a second driveway?Permanent link to I live in Sherwood Park - can I have a second driveway?
Residences located in urban areas are not permitted to have more than one driveway/access to their property. Review the Access Guideline Policy for more information.
6. What is the maximum width my driveway can be in Sherwood Park?Permanent link to What is the maximum width my driveway can be in Sherwood Park?
The maximum width for driveways in Sherwood Park is six metres or the width of your garage, if it is greater than six metres.
7. Is it possible to have a driveway wider than six metres?Permanent link to Is it possible to have a driveway wider than six metres?
If you are in a rural area, you can apply for a variance of up to 10 metres, at an additional cost of $250.00 + GST per metre. A variance is a written request needed to change the County’s Design and Construction standards.
If you are in an urban area, you cannot exceed the six metre limit, unless the width of your garage is greater than six metres.
Ask it, report it or suggest it using County Connect