Do I need a fireworks permit?


To sell, purchase or set off fireworks in Strathcona County, you must have a valid fireworks permit. Residents that want to discharge fireworks can do so on private property in the rural area. While there is no charge for obtaining a fireworks permit, there are penalties for discharging without one or for being in violation of a fireworks permit regulation.

Fireworks are not allowed in hamlets including Sherwood Park, Antler Lake, Ardrossan, Collingwood Cove, Half Moon Lake, Hastings Lake, Josephburg, North and South Cooking Lake.

Where do I get a fireworks permit?

Applications for fireworks permits must be made in person at Fire Station 6, 915 Bison Way, Sherwood Park, between 8:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m., Monday to Friday (excluding statutory holidays). 

Fireworks permit holders are required to call the Burn Status Line at 780-464-8464 or text the word "BURN" to 587-340-3696 immediately before discharge to ensure that permits have not been suspended.

Consumer fireworks information (123.1 KB)

The sale and use of fireworks is regulated within Strathcona County by three acts of legislation, including the Alberta Fire Code and federal law. The Fire Prevention division issues permits for all pyrotechnics, including consumer and display fireworks.

Consumer fireworks may only be discharged on private rural properties.

Applicants must be at least 18 years, the legal landowner, or have written permission from the legal landowner to obtain a fireworks permit.

Frequently asked fireworks questions:

Further information
Fire Prevention division

Last updated: Tuesday, November 19, 2019
Page ID: 39019