Workshops and resources for parents and caregivers
Are you a parent or caregiver wanting to:
- learn strategies to support children and youth in their learning and social interactions
- help children develop healthy emotions and behaviours
- figure out how to establish respectful boundaries with teenagers
Transitions to Junior High - A Parents Guide: Transitions to Junior High - A Parents Guide (1.4 MB)
Presentations and workshops for parents and caregivers
Additional presentations are available in Edmonton through the caregiver education programs offered by Alberta Health Services
Online mental health guides, websites and information
Online Mental Health Resources
Anxiety and Stress
- Anxiety Canada
- Information and resources to support adults and young people in understanding and managing anxiety.
- Kids Help Phone - Anxiety and Panic or phone 1-800-668-6868\
- Information about anxiety and panic and simple strategies to help young people cope plus links to Kids’ Help Phone telephone line and chat.
- Stressed Teens: Stress and Mindfulness
- Collection of articles related to young people, stress, and mindfulness.
Back to School Toolkit
- Parent Toolkit
- Resources tailored to parent/caregiver concerns and children’s ages.
- Drug Free Kids Canada Cannabis Talk Kit: Know how to talk with your teen
- Guidance and scripts for parents and caregivers.
- Talking Pot with Youth: A Cannabis Communication Guide
- Support for creating a safe environment to speak with young people about cannabis use.
- What's Your "High Q"?
- Educational quiz and information from Alberta Health Services.
- Dealing With Depression
- Information and coping skills for young people.
- Depression & Anxiety Self-Management for Teens
- Information and coping strategies for young people from Alberta Health Services.
- Heads Up Guys
- Depression supports for men.
- Mood Disorder Society of Canada
- Advocacy and public awareness organization.
- Students Against Depression
- Information and resources about depression, anxiety, and suicidal thoughts.
- Looking Glass BC
- Basic information about eating disorders.
- National Eating Disorder Information Centre
- Information and supports for people who have eating disorders and for their friends and family.
- Girls Health
- Physical, mental, and emotional health information for girls.
- Kids Health
- Health information for parents, kids, and teens.
- Sexuality and relationship information for youth.
- Teaching Sexual Health
- Information and resources from Alberta Health Services to support parents/caregivers in talking to young people about sexual health.
- The Mix
- Physical, mental, and emotional health information and practical advice for youth transitioning to adulthood.
- Young Men’s Health
- Physical and emotional health information for young men and boys.
- Youth Health
- Health information for young people from the Government of Canada.
- Calgary Connect Teen
- Calgary-based peer support by telephone, text, chat, or email.
- Kids Help Phone
- Support for kids 24/7 by telephone, text, or chat.
- Need Help Now
- Support for cyberbullying, especially concerning non-consensual sharing of pictures or videos.
- Youth Space
- Victoria-based chat, text, and email counselling for youth.
Grief and Loss
- Children and Youth Grief Network
- Research and resources concerning young people's grief.
- Kids Grief
- Support for parents and caregivers in talking to kids about grief.
- Understanding and Coping with Loss and Grief
- Basic information and coping strategies for youth and parents/caregivers.
- The altView Foundation
- Support for LGBTQ2S+ youth and adults and their friends and families in Sherwood Park, Fort Saskatchewan, and Camrose.
- Supportive Parents
- altView’s information and resource page for parents and caregivers.
- Support and advocacy for LGBTQ2S+ people and their friends and families.
- Alberta GSA Network
- Information and resources concerning GSAs.
- Edmonton Two Spirit Society
- Information and support for two spirit people in Edmonton.
- Pride Centre of Edmonton
- Support for LGBTQ2S+ people in the Edmonton region.
- The Rainbow Pages
- Resource guide for youth.
Mental Health and Mental Illness
- Foundry BC
- Information, resources, and tools for youth and their families.
- Kelty Mental Health
- Information and resources for parents/caregivers of young people who are experiencing mental health challenges.
- Mind Your Mind
- Tools and resources for young people experiencing mental health challenges.
- Reach Out
- Articles about mental health and mental illness for youth.
- Understanding Mental Illness
- Information from the Canadian Mental Health Association.
- Help 4 Me
- Information and resources concerning youth addiction and mental health from the Government of Alberta.
- Life Signs
- Information and supports related to self-harm.
- OCD Youth
- Information and peer support for youth with OCD.
- Teen Mental Health
- Information and tools for youth.
Relationships and Bullying
- Love is Respect
- American site providing information about healthy relationships and about abuse.
- Bullying information and research.
- RCMP Bullying and Cyberbullying
- Information and tips for youth experiencing bullying and for supportive friends and family.
- That's Not Cool
- Resources to talk about healthy relationships for teens and supportive adults.
- Common Sense Media
- Reviews of new apps, games, and websites for parents and teachers.
- Digital Citizenship Guide for Parents
- Support for parents in teaching youth about digital citizenship from the Government of Canada.
- Media Smarts
- Resources and research for parents and teachers on media and digital literacy.
- Talking to your kids about sexting
- From the Canadian Centre for Child Protection, assistance in removing sexual pictures and videos from the internet and support for young people in crisis or experiencing cyberbullying.
- Parenting Tweens and Teens in the Digital World
- Kids Health: Vaping
- Information about vaping for teens.
- Teens: Drug Abuse and the Brain
- Information and strategies for talking to teens for parents and educators.
- Talking to your teens about vaping: a tip sheet for parents
- Supportive strategies and information from Health Canada.
- Anxiety Canada