Commercial Trucking Permits

Vinca Bridge weight restriction change

The Province of Alberta has recently lowered the weight restriction on the Vinca Bridge in northern Strathcona County. For more information visit the Province of Alberta website.

The Traffic Bylaw 16-2015 outlines the restrictions for the weight of commercial vehicles and the goods being carried by commercial vehicles on Strathcona County roadways.

As the Road Use Authority for Strathcona County, Transportation and Agriculture Services is involved in different agreements with users of the road network to strike a balance between the needs of the client and the protection of the infrastructure.

Permits issued by Strathcona County Permits issued by TRAVIS
  • Road Use Agreement
  • Over-dimensional Permits
  • Over-weight Permits
  • Tridem Axle Certificate (TAC) and Tri-Drive Fleet Permits

Road Use Agreement (RUA)

If you are exceeding 5 trips to the same destination(s) or project, a Road Use Agreement is required. For more information please see our frequently asked questions below.

Tridem Axle Certificate (TAC) and Tri-Drive Fleet Permits

Prior to the operation of a commercial vehicle on a Strathcona County roadway, the commercial vehicle must have a Provincial TAC permit issued in accordance with the Traffic Safety Act. 

Effective January 19, 2016, Strathcona County no longer requires a County-issued TAC permit.  All Provincial TAC permits will give authorization for tridem weights and use on County roadways. 

Over-dimensional and Over-weight Permits

All over-dimensional/over-weight permits must be applied for through the provincial permitting system TRAVISStrathcona County will need to approve this permit before you can travel on County roads.

Oil and gas are different!

All oil or gas companies operating in Strathcona County must obtain a RUA and inform Transportation and Agriculture Services of all rig movements within the County limits. Notice must be given at least 24 hours (one business day) prior of movement. This applies to both drill rigs and service rigs.

Frequently Asked Questions


Further information:

Related pages

County Connect

Ask it, report it or suggest it using County Connect

Transportation Routing and Vehicle Information System (TRAVIS) is a one window permit application system available 24/7 to industry.

Last updated: Friday, June 26, 2020
Page ID: 38339