The Alberta Government is leading several roadway improvements on Highway 16 to maintain safety on this high-speed freeway.
This includes permanently closing access to Range Roads 224 and 225 from the north side of Highway 16 in the spring of 2024.
South accesses from Highway 16 to the two range roads will remain open for the time being.
- 2024 – Access to Range Roads 224 and 225 from the north side of Highway 16 will be permanently closed in spring 2024.
- 2023 – The Government of Alberta scheduled the access closures to occur in 2024 to coincide with other planned highway improvements along Highway 16, and to meet the intersection closure timelines.
- 2012 – Freeway Intersection Removal Agreement (FIRA) signed between Alberta Government and Strathcona County to remove the two intersections in 10 to 15 years.
- 2010 – The findings of the TIA were that the Range Road 224 and Range Road 225 intersections, on the north side of Highway 16, would be required to close in 10 to 15 years.
- 2009 – Traffic Impact Assessment (TIA) conducted in response to a subdivision north of Highway 16 applying to develop additional lots.
Long-term plans for interchanges on Highway 16
The province’s long-term plan for Highway 16 involves removing all existing accesses between Highway 21 and Range Road 210 and replacing them with interchanges at key locations. The timeline for these changes will be determined by the province as development progresses.
The tentative locations for future interchanges are Range Road 222, Highway 830, and Range Road 211, but this is subject to change. As part of the Area Concept Plan for Bremner, an additional interchange is expected near Range Road 224 and a partial interchange at Range Road 223. These are yet to be confirmed.
Access for farming operations and equipment
If there are questions about the most appropriate and safe route, contact us for advice and support.
Inquiries about the projects:
Ministry of Transportation and Economic Corridors
Government of Alberta
Questions for Strathcona County:
Transportation Engineering and Operations
Submit an inquiry through County Connect