Water restrictions and bans

    What to do 

    During a water restriction, residents are asked to reduce their non-essential water use.

    During a water ban, residents are asked to discontinue all non-essential water use, and all outdoor water use is prohibited.

    Activities include:

    • not watering lawns, trees and gardens
    • taking short five minute showers
    • not washing vehicles, driveways and house exteriors
    • postponing laundry and dish washing
    • waiting to fill hot tubs, pools or large aquariums
    • turning off taps while shaving and brushing your teeth
    • flushing toilets only when necessary

    Why they happen

    Water restrictions and bans can occur:

    • during periods of hot, dry weather
    • if there is construction on water pipes and facilities
    • if there is an unexpected water emergency (i.e. water pipe break, etc.)

    A water ban could be put in place if:

    • there is an unexpected emergency with a major water system component resulting in a sudden shortage of water supply
    • there is planned construction on a major water system component 
    • the demand for water exceeds availability after water restriction has been in place
    • storage reservoirs need time to replenish
    • there is a water quality emergency

    If you notice someone using a lot of water during a ban, you may want to make them aware of the ban or call 780-467-7785 to report violations. 

    It is important to note that Strathcona County also manages water amounts to make sure there is sufficient water storage for firefighting.

    Frequently asked questions

    • 1. How much notification is provided prior to a water restriction or ban?

      The County provides advance notice to residents prior to planned activities that may impact the water supply. Sometimes, there are unplanned events that require an immediate restriction or ban. In these instances, we alert the community as immediately as possible.



    • 2. Why does the County sometimes close truck fills during water shortages?

      During some water shortage events, it may be necessary to close truck fills. When it comes to stretching the water supply, every bit counts. Truck fill customers can make a significant contribution during a water shortage.

      We encourage residents who are reliant on truck fills to avoid running on empty. Although restrictions are infrequent there are a variety of factors including weather which may trigger water demand management.

      In some cases, truck fill customers can also reduce demand on the system by getting their water supply from an alternative location within the regional water supply system that is not under duress. Residents can set up an account at an alternate location, in preparedness for water shortages.

      Sign up for the truck fill email to be kept informed of updates and service disruptions.


    • 3. Is there a plan in place for water shortages?

      Yes. Strathcona County is part of a large regional network of water pipes with other communities in the capital region. We all work together to make sure our water is managed in an effective and responsible way.

      Often during periods of hot, dry weather, County departments have already discontinued certain activities like firefighting training, street sweeping, hydrant flushing, park watering and closing most spray parks. These are important, but can often be postponed until water supply conditions improve.

    Alternative fill locations

    There are several alternative truck fills in the area that are available. Please be sure to call ahead to confirm availability and payment methods (including account set-up).

    • Fort Saskatchewan truck fill, located on 11121-88 Avenue (beside the Planning and Public Works office). There are two methods of payment by either setting up an account in advance or coin operation. Call 780-992-6248 for further information.
    • The closest EPCOR truck fill is located at 8729-58th Avenue in Edmonton. Call 780-412-3003 to set up an account.
    • Nisku Water Outlet, 1402 - 7th Street. There are two methods of payment by either setting up an account in advance or coin operation. Call 780-955-3555 for further information.
    • Town of Bruderheim, 5324-52 Avenue. Contact the Town Office (located at 5017 Queen Street) to set up your PIN number.
    • Beaver County, located west of Hwy 833/630 on Range Road 510 (just south of Hwy 14 in Beaver County). To set up an account, please call Highway 14 Regional Water Services Commission at 780-663-2019 or visit www.hwy14water.ca

    Account set up is not possible after hours (9 a.m. – 4 p.m.).

    You can also sign up for the truck fill email (below) to be kept informed of updates and service disruptions:

    Subscribe to our Water Truck Fill Station e-newsletter

    If you have questions, please call 780-467-7785. Thank you for your assistance.

    SC Alert

    Get notifications

    Notifications will also be posted on our website,  and  accounts. If possible, road signs will be posted around the County letting you know about water restrictions and bans. Keep an eye out for them and know what you can and cannot do during these periods.

    As part of emergency preparedness, residents are encouraged to sign up for  to receive updates in case of serious water disruptions or other emergency events that may affect Strathcona County residents. Make sure to sign up for water ban and restriction notices.

    Phone: 780-467-7785
    Email: scutilities@strathcona.ca

    Last updated: Thursday, December 07, 2017
    Page ID: 38821