Go for gold!
Water deep once a week
Reduce peak demand
We encourage residents to follow these guidelines to even out the demand on Strathcona's water system during daily peak periods. Hot temperatures and a lack of rainfall contribute exponentially to the demand for limited water resources.
Watering one hour a week is all your lawn needs
A good heavy watering once a week helps produce a deeper root system which is less likely to be damaged by drought.
When to water
- Water your lawn early in the morning - before 7 a.m. is best - or after 7 p.m.
- Avoid using water:
- during peak demand periods - from 7 a.m. to 9 a.m., and from 5 p.m. to 7 p.m.
- during the day when too much water is lost to evaporation
Lawn care tips that conserve water
- Cut your lawn at a higher height (6 cm) and it will require less water.
- Lawns will survive hot, dry periods better if they are watered deeply once a week rather than frequent light waterings.
- Lawns require only 2.5 cm of water per week. If there is that much rainfall, lawns don't require any more water. Too much water will wash the valuable nutrients away from the grass roots.
Thank you for your efforts to conserve water. Your efforts may help to avoid a a water ban.