- Cannot be located in a duplex, semi-detached, multiple, townhouse, agricultural, family care or apartment dwelling.
- Only one secondary suite may be considered per dwelling.
- Suites not connected to the house cannot be considered a secondary suite. Please see the Garden Suites page for information on this type of suite.
- Secondary suites shall not be developed in a dwelling that contains a group home, care centre or bed and breakfast.
- A minimum of three on-site parking stalls must be provided (two for the principal dwelling and one for the secondary suite) which conform to parking regulations.
- The land title cannot be subdivided for a secondary suite use.
- Bedrooms must contain at least one window having a minimum unobstructed opening of 3.77 sq. ft. in area and no height or width can be less than 15 inches.
- Ceiling height minimum for secondary suites is 6.4 ft. (1.95 m)
- The maximum size shall not exceed 40% of the gross floor area of the principal dwelling.
- Smoke alarms must be hard-wired and interconnected with the main house so they will operate in unison.
- Exit can be provided either by direct exterior exit or an exit with stairs leading from the basement to a main floor entry (that has a doorway to the outside).
- Fire protected walls and ceiling (use of 1/2 inch drywall) are required between a basement suite and the main house as well as around common exits.
- Electrical, plumbing and gas work must be done by a certified professional (e.g. master electrician, journeyman trades person).
- Heating and ventilation for the suite must be independent from the main house.
- Gas furnaces and water heaters have to be enclosed in a room with fire protected walls and ceiling (use of 1/2 inch drywall).
- Water and sewer must be provided through the main house.
- Must contain at least two rooms, in which a bedroom, cooking facilities and a bathroom are provided.
Applying for permits
To obtain the necessary permits, you will be required to submit:
- A completed development permit application form with landowner signature.
- A completed building permit application form.
- Three copies of the site plan (a photocopy of the Real Property Report is preferred) identifying the parking locations and second entrance.
- Three copies of the floor plans for each level of the entire dwelling (principal and suite) with dimensions and rooms labeled. Window sizes and smoke detector locations must also be shown.
- Photographs of the exterior of the dwelling (all four sides).
- Current copy of land title (printed within the last 30 days).
- A completed fire safety plan (84.5 KB) - information on construction fire safety plans and protection requirements.
Secondary suite fees
Please see "Secondary Suite " in the current development and building fee schedules.
Note: The Safety Code Council fee also applies to secondary suites. Please see the current building fee schedule.