When is a permit required?

In the urban area development permit is required if the height of your fence exceeds the following maximum heights:

  • The maximum fence height is 2.0 m (6.6 ft.) for the portion of the fence that does not extend beyond the foremost portion of the building and 1.0 m (3.3 ft.) for the portion of a fence that does extend beyond the foremost portion of the building.
  • If you are fencing on a corner lot (abutting two streets), the maximum height is 1 m (3.3 ft.) for both the side and front yard abutting the street.

View diagram

In the rural area a development permit is not required for fences less than 2 m (6.6 ft.) in height provided it is entirely contained within the property boundaries. A permit may be required for fences with security features, retaining walls, brick pillars, entrance features, etc.

To apply for a development permit, submit the following:

Did you know?

  • To construct a fence higher than what the regulations allow, you must apply for a development permit for the fence.
  • A building permit is not required for a fence, except where it is necessary for an outdoor swimming pool.
  • The fences in your subdivision may have a unique colour scheme or style. Contact the developer of your area to determine the colour and construction requirements for the maintenance and replacement of fences that face roads, parks, and public areas. You may alternatively take a paint chip or piece of your fence board into any paint store and ask them to do a colour match. Also, you can check your certificate of title. Most developers register caveats or restrictive covenants on property to maintain fencing requirements along with other architectural controls.
  • The location of a fence between two properties is decided by yourself and your neighbour.
  • We suggest hiring an Alberta Land Surveyor to locate your property lines prior to constructing a fence to ensure that the fence is located on or within your property lines.
  • Before constructing a fence call Alberta One-Call at 1-800-242-3447 for buried utility locations.
  • A proposed fence should be complimentary and compatible with the principal building to the satisfaction of the Development Officer.
  • A Development Officer may require a fence to be installed where commercial or industrial development is proposed to abut residential development. Where noise is a potential nuisance, a Development Officer may specify the fence be designed to attenuate noise.
  • In the case of double fronting sites, fences shall be of a height satisfactory to a Development Officer having regard to the location of fences in the surrounding area and the requirement for screening.

Printable Brochure (897.2 KB)

More information:

Planning and Development Services
Phone: 780-464-8080
Fax: 780-464-8142
Email: planninganddevelopment@strathcona.ca

Last updated: Thursday, July 15, 2021
Page ID: 39749