Basement safety tips
- Turn hot water heater thermostat to less than 50 degrees C (medium setting) to prevent risk of scalding.
- Keep dryer lint catch clean and clear.
- Never store flammable fuels (e.g. gasoline, camp fuel and propane) inside your home.
- Store all combustibles safely.
- Ensure there is a minimum clearance of 1 metre around all gas fired appliances (furnace and hot water tank) and that no combustibles are stored behind or beside these units.
A house fire can become life-threatening in three minutes.