Communities in Bloom
Communities in Bloom National Symposium
Strathcona County is proud to host the 2018 Symposium on Parks & Grounds and National Awards.
People, plants and pride... growing together!
Purpose of Communities in Bloom
Strathcona County endeavors to beautify the community through the efforts of County staff, Strathcona in Bloom volunteers, businesses and by encouraging the efforts of private home owners.
In 2016, Strathcona County was honoured to receive a five-bloom (highest score) silver rating, with special mention for Prairie Walk in Centre in the Park, in the Circle of Excellence category.
Help make your community bloom - become a VOLUNTEER with Strathcona in Bloom
- Help plant and maintain a community flower bed
- Plant your own yard and watch our community bloom
- Compost and recycle
- Plant trees
- Get involved in the Strathcona in Bloom Executive
- Nominate a neighbour in the front yard competition
What we are judged on:
- Organic pick-up
- Recycling and Christmas tree pick-up
- Curb side clear bag composting
- Broadview Enviroservice Station
- Naturalization of parks
- Large item pick-up twice a year at curbside
- Drought-tolerant plants
- Reduced fertilizer and chemical use
- Integrated pest management program
- Strathcona Heritage Museum
- Sherwood Park Natural Area Stewards
- Smeltzer House Historic Site preservation
- The Heritage Mile Project
- Ottewell House and Barn preservation
The management, planting and maintenance of trees and tree stands.
- Dutch Elm Disease monitoring program
- Naturalization of park areas
- Volunteers In Parks plant trees
- Tree seedlings planted by community groups and businesses
- Inventory and replacement schedule
- Memorial plantings
The management, planting and maintenance of green spaces
- Broadmoor Lake Park hosts major events
- Smeltzer House is a historic site and botanic garden
- Over 60 km of Heritage Parkway Trails
The management, planting and maintenance of turf areas.
- Sport fields and high profile areas fertilized for stronger turf
- Variety of ground cover, grasses & perennials
The management, planting and maintenance of planting beds and planters.
- Garden beds and planters
- Over 15,000 flowers annually planted in beds and planters by Strathcona in Bloom volunteers & staff
- Nominate Your Neighbour front garden competition
- Floral beautification of public spaces
Non-profit groups, businesses and citizens involved in the Communities in Bloom program
- Volunteers plant flowerbeds
- Schools and youth groups planting
- Arbor Day and the annual Pitch-In Campaign
- Business sponsorship