Election sign questions and concerns
For all election sign questions or concerns, please contact Planning and Development Services: Phone: 780-464-8080 Fax: 780-464-8142 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Last modified: July 26, 2021, 4:09 p.m.
Before applying for your election sign permit, please note:
- Applications for election signs will be processed once the date of the election has been announced.
- All election signs, whether placed on public or private lands, may not be erected more than thirty (30) days in advance of a municipal or provincial election and no more than thirty-six (36) days prior to a federal election.
- A permit is required for placement of election signs on boulevards (rights-of-way) or other lands within the municipality's control. Only one (1) permit is required for these election signs respecting each candidate or for each position referring to a referendum, plebiscite or other vote pursuant to municipal, provincial or federal legislation.
- A separate permit is not required for election signs located on private property, provided they are temporary and comply with the regulations under Section 5.18 of Land Use Bylaw 6-2015.
- The size, type and placement of election signs are regulated through Strathcona County's Land Use Bylaw. Information on election sign requirements and regulations is available here.
- A simplified version of the election sign regulations is also available.
Election sign reference table (159.9 KB)
- For a full interpretation of the election sign regulations, please refer to
Part 5, Sign Regulations
, of the Land Use Bylaw.
- If a portable sign is to be used as an election sign, a separate development permit and associated fee will be required, and other regulations apply. Please see our Portable Signs page for more details.
Elections can generate a large amount of waste during the campaign trail. Please see how you can consider the environment when making decisions on your campaign trail. (947.3 KB)
How to apply for a permit for election signs:
- Complete an election sign development permit application form.
Election sign development permit application (1.9 MB)
- Include payment for $250.00 to cover the cost of the application.
- Once the date of the election has been announced, completed development permit applications forms along with payment can be:
- emailed for processing to: email@example.com ;
- dropped off at Planning and Development Services in County Hall; or
- mailed to Strathcona County Planning and Development Services.
Planning and Development Services