The Strathcona Fallen Firefighters' Memorial was created in partnership with the Strathcona Honour Guard, IAFF Local 2461, Strathcona County, and many industry partners. Residents, family and loved ones visit the Memorial often to remember those who have fallen and the ultimate sacrifice they have made for our community.
Each September, Strathcona County Emergency Services' Honour Guard hosts a memorial march and ceremony to honour the fallen members.
The Memorial is located to the west of Fire Station 1, 1933 Sherwood Drive, Sherwood Park.
History of the memorial
The memorial wall is a 6’x15’ bronze memorial plaque designed by the artist Zazo. It depicts events from an actual incident in the Mills Haven neighbourhood where Strathcona County’s integrated services were critical in a safe rescue and response. Residents were safely rescued from the fire by a firefighter on a ladder and handed over to awaiting fire fighter/paramedics where the residents were assessed and treated; all while a fire attack was being performed to extinguish the fire.
The phrase "...and then there was silence..." is mounted above the monument which is significant for emergency services. Traditionally, the end of an incident or shift would be signified by the ringing of a bell three times. This meant that all members were accounted for and headed home. The bell would be followed by silence as the firehouse was empty, or the incident had been returned to normal. Now, the ringing of the bell is known as the "Last Alarm" and used as part of the annual ceremony. The Last Alarm is the ringing of a bell three times to signify a lost member’s final calling home. It is followed by a moment of silence for the member, their spouse and children.