- Tax Sale is a public auction of properties within a municipality which have outstanding property taxes for greater than 2 years.
- The Tax Sale is held annually during the month of April/May each year at County Hall, 2001 Sherwood Drive, Sherwood Park.
- Properties to be sold at Tax Sale are advertised in the Alberta Gazette and in The Sherwood Park News in March of each year.
- The lowest amount for which a property may be sold at Tax Sale is the reserve bid.
- The reserve bid is determined using fair market value of the property.
- The property owner has until the time of the auction on the day of Tax Sale to pay the tax arrears on their property to avoid being auctioned at the Tax Sale.
- The highest bid above the reserve bid is declared the purchaser.
- If there is no bid, or no bid equal to the reserve bid, the municipality may become the owner of the property.
- The successful bidder must meet the conditions of the auction upon a successful bid. All payments are to be made by cash, bank draft or certified payment.