How to use Mobility Bus
To book a trip, please call 780-449-9680
Monday to Friday: 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Closed on weekends and holidays.
Eligible urban clients can use Mobility Bus to travel for any reason within Sherwood Park and between Sherwood Park and specified destinations in Edmonton. Although not required, the general purpose of the trip (e.g. medical, work, school, shopping, social, etc.) will be asked during bookings for statistical reasons.
Eligible rural clients can use Mobility Bus to travel within Sherwood Park and between Sherwood Park and specified destinations in Edmonton for any reason except work or school. Reasons for travel must be provided when booking a trip from the rural areas of the County.
To book your trip, call the booking line at least two working days in advance. We recommend you book your trip as early as possible.
Due to limited resources, Mobility Bus may not be able to accommodate all requests.
Be sure to note holidays and book ahead accordingly.
Mobility Bus service may also use taxis to provide service when necessary and appropriate. Requests may be denied if sufficient resources are not available.
If you trip has been denied, know that accessible taxis from the Edmonton region is available to come into the Strathcona County. Regular taxi fares will apply. For more information on taxis visit the County's Limousine and Taxi FAQ regarding regional service.
A subscription trip consists of a minimum of one trip per week, from the same origin to the same destination at the same time for at least four weeks (e.g. every Monday and Wednesday at 10 a.m.). If you have such a travel need, a subscription trip request may be booked based on service availability.
Please note that subscription trips are provided only if there is available service and are automatically canceled on holidays. If you require a subscription trip on a holiday a regular booking will have to be made.
To ensure equitable access to service, Mobility Bus can limit subscription trips requests. Mass bookings of subscription trips for multiple individuals may be denied.
When booking a trip, the Mobility Bus scheduler will assign a pick-up time the day before travel. Please remember this time has a pick-up window. The bus may arrive 15 minutes earlier or up to 15 minutes later than the time you were given. Therefore, please be ready to board the bus 15 minutes prior to your pick-up time.
Upon arrival, the operator will make a reasonable attempt to locate the client by ringing the doorbell or buzzer, if provided. If no contact is made within five minutes of arrival, operators may depart in order to maintain service for other clients.
Mobility Bus clients must:
- Book trips at least two working days in advance.
- Book or cancel trips well in advance. Last minute changes cannot be accommodated.
- Be ready 15 minutes before your scheduled pick-up time.
- Have the exact fare or ticket ready when the Mobility Bus arrives.
- Remain seated with the seatbelt or tie-down fastened while the vehicle is in motion.
- Follow the operator's instructions at all times while boarding, riding and exiting the Mobility Bus. Improper conduct may result in a refusal of service.
- Refrain from smoking within five metres of the vehicle; smoking is not allowed on the bus.
- Refrain from wearing scented products such as aftershaves or perfumes. Other passengers or operators may be allergic to these products.
- Do not consume alcohol or non-prescription drugs on the bus.
- Refrain from interfering with the operation of the vehicle and all equipment attached to it.
Mobility Bus is dedicated to the safety of every passenger on every trip.
- All locations served by Mobility Bus must be accessible (having no more than one step at an entrance.)
- It is the client’s responsibility to provide a ramp where there is more than one step.
- To ensure the safety of passengers and operators, temporary or portable ramps are not acceptable.
- All locations must be kept free of snow and ice or Mobility Bus will not be able to provide service.
- It is mandatory to use a securement safety system for any mobility aides and to wear a seatbelt/shoulder belt.
- All mobility aids must be secured using the restraint systems provided. Operators will not provide service to anyone who is not secured.
Strathcona County Transit is committed to providing safe and comfortable transportation for all passengers. Mobility Bus operators are not trained to provide attendant care or emergency medical type services.
Cancel a trip
There is an increasing demand for Mobility Bus services so if a trip is no longer needed, please call the Mobility Bus office promptly to cancel. Cancellations should be done 24 hours before your trip.
A late cancellation is a trip that is canceled less than one hour prior to the scheduled pick-up time.
A no-show is considered to occur when:
- The operator arrives at the scheduled time at the pick-up location and no one is there.
- When the client cancels at the door.
Impact on Mobility Bus
A late cancellation or no-show wastes resources, reduces efficiency, and inconveniences other clients.
Frequent late cancellations or no-shows will be reviewed by the Mobility Bus Supervisor and may lead to a suspension of service.
Operators will wait for five minutes upon arrival within your scheduled pick-up window. If you are not ready during this five-minute period, your trip is considered a no-show and the operator will proceed to his or her next call. The scheduled return trip will also be canceled in the event of a no-show.