The Gravel Road Maintenance program focuses on maintaining quality rural roadways to enable safe travel for residents.
View the CountyWorks construction web map to see the gravel roads planned for improvement.
Types of gravel roads
There are two types of gravel roads in Strathcona County:
- Dust-controlled gravel roads – gravel roads that have been oiled. These roads have the appearance of a hard surface road, such as asphalt.
- Loose gravel roads – loose gravel surface with dust control near residences.
Gravel roads are monitored and maintained as needed from April to September. Based on the condition of the road, different techniques will be used to maintain a suitable road surface for safe travel, including re-gravelling, blading or reshaping.
What to expect
- Residences located next to roads planned for maintenance will receive notice letters with project details before the work starts.
- Alternate routes or detours may be required—watch for signs.
- There is often a delay between new gravel and oiling so loose materials and uneven surfaces may exist. Please slow down and drive with care.
Please note: Weather can cause unexpected delays. Although we strive to maintain schedules, timeline changes may be required.
Transportation Engineering and Operations
Submit a road construction issue
Ask a question, provide feedback or report an issue.