Have a home fire escape plan
Develop and practice a Home fire escape plan (240.1 KB) home fire escape plan. In case a fire starts, everyone must know two ways out of every room, if possible.
- Install smoke detectors on every storey and outside sleeping areas.
- Develop a home fire escape plan and practice it with the entire family.
- Check that all exits are unobstructed and easy to use.
- Determine who will be responsible for helping young children, older adults or anyone else that may need assistance.
- Choose a meeting place outside, such as a tree or a lamp post, where everyone can be accounted for.
- If caught in smoke, get low and go under the smoke to the nearest safe exit.
- Call 9-1-1 from outside the home, from a cell phone or the neighbour's home.
- Once out, stay out of the house. Never re-enter a burning building.
Further information 780-464-8468