Office location/mailing address:
2001 Sherwood Drive
Sherwood Park, Alberta T8A 3W7
I learned from an early age giving back to your community makes you a stronger person.
Katie Berghofer was elected for her first term as Strathcona County’s Ward 8 representative in 2017 and was re-elected in October 2021. She has been an active voice for the residents she represents. Katie has a great interest in establishing attainable and affordable housing for the community and the aging population, and in further protecting the county’s environment and ecosystems while maintaining growth in our economic development and industry.
As a Strathcona County Councillor, Katie is a part of several committees including the Accessibility Advisory Committee, Emergency Advisory Committee and Priorities Committee. She was also the Chair of the Covid-19 Citizen & Community Support Task force.
Katie also represents Strathcona County on numerous regional committees:
- Edmonton Metropolitan Region Board - Shared Investment for Shared Benefit Task Force
- Edmonton Salutes Committee, and
- Vice Chair, Heartland Housing Foundation Board of Directors
- Inter-city Forum on Social Policy
- Strathcona County RCMP Community Advisory Committee
In 2021, Katie was first elected to the Federation of Canadian Municipalities (FCM) Board of Directors, representing Alberta and Strathcona County at a national level. She was re-elected in spring of 2022. Prior to that she was a Board of Directors Committee member in 2019 and 2020. Katie participated in the following committees and projects:
- Environmental Issues and Sustainable Development Standing Committee
- Increasing Women's Participation in Municipal Government – Vice Chair
- International Relations Standing Committee
- FCM Governance Working Group
- Community Safety and Crime Prevention
- Canadian Women in Local Leadership – CanWILL
- Committee of the Whole
- Prairies & Territories Regional Caucus
Katie and her husband Darryl live in Sherwood Park and have two children. She attended the University of Alberta, earning a bachelor's degree in Physical Education; majoring in Adapted Physical Activity. Katie earned a National Championship with the Panda’s Rugby team in 1999. She holds a Certificate in Rural Municipal Leadership from the University of Alberta and a Certificate in Climate Leadership from FCM.
Katie worked for several years as a Recreation Therapist and Manager and then carried on her career as a retail manager. Employed as a District Manager she covered 12 to 18 stores in Alberta and Saskatchewan, enhancing her communication, customer service and problem-solving skills.
Past Sherwood Park News articles
Ward 8 Update