As part of the Recreation and Culture Strategy’s goal of ensuring recreation and culture opportunities are available to all, the Community Large Scale Event Investment Program is available for local Not-for-Profit organizations hosting large scale, sustainable festivals or events that enhance the quality of life of residents and supports new or existing events that attract visitors.
Community Large Scale Event Investment Program Application
Application deadlines: May 8 and November 1
Events take time to plan. Strathcona County encourages all applicants to apply at least 6 months prior to the event date.
Eligibility is limited to one event per organization, per calendar year. Events are to be held within Strathcona County. Not-for-profit organizations are eligible for the program based on the following:
- Non-profit organization based within Strathcona County, who has been incorporated for one or more years and in good standing with Alberta Corporate Registry
- Event takes place on County land or in a County facility.
- Event has an estimated attendance of 1,000 people or more
- Event is open to the public
- Event budget is a minimum of $15,000
- Festival or event uses and promotes Strathcona County hotels and businesses
- Event is secular and non-political in nature
An event is NOT eligible if:
- The event qualifies for the Community Recreation Event and Sport Tourism Program
- The event is reoccurring or part of a series of events throughout the calendar year
- Cannot apply for both the Arts, Cultural and Heritage Community Investment Program and the Community Large-Scale Event Investment Program.
The contribution from Strathcona County matches 50% of your event budget, up to a maximum of $15,000. For example, if your budget is $16,000 and you meet all the requirements, you could qualify for up to $8,000.
Funds can be used to cover:
- Strathcona County rental licence (if applicable, and include fees such as rental fees, power, water, additional staffing)
- Rental of equipment including stage, chairs, tables and other materials that will ensure safe installation of festival/event equipment.
- Marketing event material
- Expenses related to safety training and developing sustainable practices, such as recycling
- Strathcona County permit fees and associated costs
- Volunteer recognition
Funds cannot be used to cover:
- Administrative costs and fees associated with running the event that include: legal and insurance fees, external permits, accounting and staffing costs.
- Food and beverage purchases.
- Funding of campaigns, mailings from supporters and other solicitations for contribution in order to raise funds for an event.
A final report must be completed after the event.
Marketing and Promotion – Benefitting the Community
Events eligible for the Community Large Scale Event Investment Program should have an estimated attendance of 1,000 people or more and bring exposure to the community through print, television, radio and/or social media. Eligible events will support local business through food services, accommodation, etc.
For information on venues, facilities, local business and event processes, please visit:
Strathcona County reserves the right to reduce established event funding levels based on the number of applications received.
Ask a question, provide feedback or report an issue.