skip to main content

Seasonal Road Bans

Road bans lifted

Effective 7:00 a.m. Friday, May 26, 2017, Spring Road Bans are lifted in Strathcona County.

Axle-weight restrictions are back to 90% summer axle weights on the majority of Strathcona County roads.

Every spring the weight for commercial vehicles and the goods they are carrying are restricted on the majority of County roads. This restriction protects our roads from damage.

Rural roads that are at 90% during summer, fall and winter change to 75% during Spring Road Bans.

Example of rural County road that has road bans applied to it during the spring.

Frequently Asked Questions

What are posted axle weights?

Posted axle weights are the weight restrictions for vehicles that lowers the legal registered permitted weight placed on a road. This protects the infrastructure from damage. Axle weights are based on provincial spring ban seasonal rates. View our current road weight restrictions map.

What is overweight?

Overweight is defined as the weight on an axle or axle group, or total gross weight, being more than that allowed under the Traffic Safety Act. More information on axle weights can be obtained from Provincial Highways at

When are road bans in effect?

Year-round road bans are in effect on all weight restricted rural roads in Strathcona County.

During the spring thaw, seasonal road bans are declared to protect our roads. Because seasonal road bans depend on road conditions, the dates vary from year-to-year but they typically run from March – June. During these months the posted axle weight on the majority of weight restricted roads is lowered to 75%.  

Some roads have permanent weight restrictions that are not affected by seasonal road bans. See our road weight restrictions map here.

Do I need a Road Use Agreement (RUA) ?

Do you have a project that will exceed 5 loaded trips to the same destination(s) or project? If the answer is YES, you will need an RUA. If the answer is NO, you do not require an RUA

However, if any of your loads are over the posted axle weight or is over-dimensional you will need to get a TRAVIS permit. Strathcona County will need to approve this permit before you can travel on County roads.

Road ban season is over; do I still require an RUA?

Yes, RUA’s are required all year round.

Further information:

Transportation and Agriculture Services
Phone: 780-417-7100

Last updated: Wednesday, August 23, 2017
Page ID: 38345