Strathcona County: Hastings Lake
The hamlet of Hastings Lake is located approximately 40 kilometres east of Sherwood Park and can be reached either by taking Highway 14 or Wye Road. The lake was renamed in 1884 after Tom Hastings, a member of Tyrell 's geological survey party. The original name was a·ka·ka·kwa-tikh, which in the Cree language means "the lake that does not freeze ... In 1988, Kawtihk Recreational Retreat opened as the only commercially operated facility on the lake. Also found on Hastings lake is the privately owned Legion of Frontiersmen.
The hamlet itself consists of a mix of 92 full time residences and summer cottages. With its natural shoreline and many islands, Hastings lake is home to many species of water birds, including the White Pelican and the Cormorant making it a popular bird watching destination. The islands of Hastings Lake were named as one of the "Special Places 2000" by the Alberta Government. The large forested area in the Hastings Lake Watershed is a key area for moose and white-tailed deer.
With close proximity to the Cooking Blackfoot Wildlife Grazing and Provincial Recreation Area and the Waskahegan Staging Area, many hiking and cross-country skiing possibilities exist.
The Canadian Birkebeiner Ski Festival takes place on the second Saturday in February every winter. This world renowned event is a premier, affordable, family-oriented, cross-country ski event honouring the spirit of the Norwegian Birkebeiner legend.
Just 4 kilometres south of the lake on Range Road 204 is Hasting Lake Hall. Since the 1940s and with the help of the dedicated volunteers, the hall has been a centre for local gatherings and popular annual events.