A drop driveway (low-slope crossing) is a convenient feature in residential areas, but many neighbourhoods were not built to include them.
When the County is completing construction in your area, you may have an opportunity to have one installed at your own expense. This can be an efficient and cost-effective option for changing the slope of your driveway access. However, some neighbourhoods are not suitable for drop driveways. This can be reviewed at the request of homeowners.
Depending on the type and condition of the sidewalk at the end of your driveway, the County may cover the costs of installing a drop driveway.
The sidewalk and driveway access in front of your home can include a combination of private and public infrastructure. This affects which portions the County will replace at no cost to you as the homeowner.
Sidewalk with boulevard
A private driveway connects with a public sidewalk, followed by a private driveway apron, and then the curb and gutter.
- Any damaged section of the sidewalk in front of the private driveway will be repaired by the County, at no cost to the homeowner.
- Damaged sections of the curb and gutter will also be repaired or replaced at no cost, as needed.
- As a private access, the driveway apron is not considered public infrastructure and is not maintained by the County.
- A drop driveway can be installed at the homeowner’s expense.
Sidewalk without boulevard
A private driveway connects directly with the public sidewalk, curb and gutter.
- Any damaged section of the sidewalk, curb and gutter in front of the private driveway will be repaired by the County, at no cost to the homeowner.
- If more than 60 per cent of the sidewalk in front of a driveway requires replacement, a drop driveway will be installed, at no cost to the homeowner.
- If less than 60 per cent of the sidewalk in front of the total driveway width is being replaced, a drop driveway will not be installed by Strathcona County.
- A drop driveway can be requested at the homeowner’s expense.
Drop driveway requests
To request an estimate for a drop driveway for either sidewalk type, please submit a request through County Connect.
Transportation Engineering and Operations
Submit a road construction issue