Taxi Permit Application
Under the Vehicle for Hire Bylaw, a Taxi Driver permit and a Taxi Vehicle permit are required to operate a taxi vehicle based in Strathcona County. Limousines and accessible taxis also require permits.
Information on this page
How to apply
Application forms are available for download on this web page. Forms are also available at the Enforcement Services office, located at the RCMP detachment at 911 Bison Way in Sherwood Park.
Print and complete the application form. Completed application forms can be dropped off to:
911 Bison Way
(Monday to Friday - 7:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.)
Once application is submitted, please allow up to several weeks for the application process to be complete.
Taxi Driver Permit
The Taxi Driver permit is valid for two years, unless otherwise revoked. The permit expires on the date of birth of the permit holder two years following the date the Taxi Driver permit is issued or renewed.
Taxi Driver permit checklist:
- Valid Class 1, 2 or 4 Provincial Operator’s Licence information (provide a copy)
- Driver’s abstract (dated within 30 days of application)
- Criminal Record check from RCMP (dated within 30 days of application)
- Vulnerable Sector check from RCMP (dated within 30 days of application)
- Permit fee of $100, payable by credit card, debit or cash
If your current Taxi Driver Permit goes missing, it must reported so to Strathcona County Enforcement Services immediately. A replacement Taxi Driver Permit Card may be issued at a fee of $50.00.
Taxi Vehicle Permit
The Taxi Vehicle permit is valid for one Vehicle Permit Year (starting on May 1 and ending on April 30). Each taxi vehicle shall be inspected at least once every twelve months by a certified mechanic.
Taxi Vehicle permit checklist:
- Insurance policy number (provide a copy)
- Vehicle information, including VIN and licence plate number
- Driver information, including Provincial Operator's Licence number
- Government of Alberta Motor Vehicle Record of Inspection completed and signed by a Certified Mechanic. In order to obtain the required vehicle inspection, applicants must pick up an Inspection Request Letter in person at Strathcona County Enforcement Services.
- Permit fee of $450, payable by credit card, debit or cash
Visit: Enforcement Services office at 911 Bison Way in Sherwood Park