Vehicle for Hire
Vehicle for hire permits application
The Vehicle for Hire Bylaw (30-2016) (91.5 KB) is in effect as of July 1, 2017. Under the bylaw, annual permits are required for Vehicle for Hire driver's and vehicles operating in Strathcona County. This bylaw applies to Taxis, Accessible Taxis and Limousines.
How to apply
Application forms for the new Vehicle for Hire Permits are available for download as of June 1, 2017. Forms are also available at 911 Bison Way, Sherwood Park.
Print and complete the application form Taxi Permit Application
Completed application forms can be dropped off at:
911 Bison Way
(Monday to Friday - 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.)
Once the application is submitted, please allow up to several weeks for the process to be completed. Once approved, you will be contacted and an appointment will be made for the inspection.
The driver's permit is valid for one year from the date of issue or renewal, unless otherwise suspended or cancelled.
Driver permit checklist:
- Valid Class 1, 2 or 4 Provincial Operator’s Licence information (provide a copy)
- Criminal Record check from RCMP (dated within 30 days of application)
- Vulnerable Sector check from RCMP (dated within 30 days of application)
- Permit fee of $50, payable by credit card, debit or cash. Accessible taxis drivers are not required to pay an annual permit fee ($0)
- Proof of successful completion of an accessible driver training program (if applying for Accessible Driver permit)
If your current Vehicle for Hire Driver's Permit goes missing, it must be reported to Strathcona County Enforcement Services immediately. A replacement Vehicle for Hire Driver's Permit may be issued at a fee of $50.00.
The Vehicle permit is valid for one year from date of issue or renewal, unless otherwise suspended or cancelled. Each vehicle shall be inspected within 90 days prior to the date of application by a certified mechanic.
Vehicle permit checklist (required for taxi, accessible taxi and limousine):
- Insurance policy number (provide a copy)
- Vehicle information, including VIN and licence plate number
- Driver information, including Provincial Operator's Licence number
- Government of Alberta Motor Vehicle Record of Inspection completed and signed by a Certified Mechanic. In order to obtain the required vehicle inspection, applicants must pick up an Inspection Request Letter in person at Strathcona County Enforcement Services.
- Permit fee of $450, payable by credit card, debit or cash. Accessible taxis are not required to pay an annual permit fee ($0).
- If applying for an accessible taxi permit, proof must be provided that the accessible taxi is equipped to provide transportation to persons using mobility aids.
Report an infraction
To report an infraction of the Vehicle for Hire Bylaw, call Enforcement Services 780-467-7741 or visit Enforcement Services (in the RCMP detachment) at 911 Bison Way in Sherwood Park.
Further information on the Vehicle for Hire bylaw, including information on obtaining the necessary permits to operate a vehicle for hire in Strathcona County, is available by calling Enforcement Services 780-449-0170.
In person: Enforcement Services office
911 Bison Way, Sherwood Park, Alberta T8H 1S9