Booking Procedures | Hall Descriptions | Decorations | Kitchen
Corkage/Bar | Overnight Parking | Community Services
1. If I am interested in renting a hall, how do I view it?Permanent link to If I am interested in renting a hall, how do I view it?
Contact the facility directly to set up a time when staff are scheduled and can assist you. For both the Ardrossan Recreation Complex and Moyer Recreation Centre call our Customer Service Representative at 780-400-2084 or email email@example.com
Who do I contact to book the hall?
After you have viewed the hall and wish to proceed with booking, you can contact our Customer Service Representative at 780-400-2084 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
3. How do I find out if the hall is available on my preferred date?Permanent link to How do I find out if the hall is available on my preferred date?
Check Recreation Online for availability. Contact our Customer Service Representatives at 780-400-2084 to confirm and to book.
What do I need to book the hall?
You will need to provide our Customer Service Representative with the following:
- Date and location of your function
- Whose name the contract will appear in (one person only). To complete the contract you will need to provide:
- mailing address
- home phone number
- daytime phone number
- The rental period. In addition to your event day, you may also rent the hall the day before and the day after.
- The level of service you require such as table set-up, kitchen rental (light or full) and corkage.
Our Customer Service Representative will build a contract based on your choice of services. This contract can be faxed, mailed, emailed to you or you can visit the Recreation, Parks and Culture office.
Please contact our Customer Service Representative at 780-400-2084 or email email@example.com for more information.
5. How do I confirm my contract with Strathcona County?Permanent link to How do I confirm my contract with Strathcona County?
Your contract for your rental of our facility is considered ‘firm’ if you have:
- signed the Rental Contract and the Rental Contract Terms and Conditions
- paid a damage deposit and an initial payment.
Can I change my rental contract?
If you need to make changes to your services, this can be done prior to final payment of the rental contract (2 weeks prior to the event date).
Additions of ‘Decorating Day Before’ or ‘Gift Opening/Clean-up Following Day’ and clarification of hourly rental times should be done at least a month in advance to allow Strathcona County to schedule staff according to your rental request.
Who can make changes to my contract?
A rental contract booked with Strathcona County is an agreement between the customer who signs the contract and the County. Due to the Freedom of Information and Privacy Act, only you can make changes or request information relating to your contract.
If you wish to have a wedding planner or a family member act on your behalf to discuss services or make changes or alterations to your rental, you can request to have their names added to the contract under “Set Up Notes”.
8. When do I have to pay my rental contract?Permanent link to When do I have to pay my rental contract?
The damage deposit and initial payment are due at the time of signing the rental contract. The balance of services requested is payable two weeks prior to your event date.
Is a damage deposit required?
A damage deposit is required at the time of signing and is generally $350.00 but will be adjusted according to a risk assessment of the event by the Facility Supervisor. The damage deposit is cashed and held by Strathcona County and returned following the event completion if the facility is returned in undamaged condition.
How do I get my damage deposit back?
Following your rental, facility staff will authorize your damage deposit return based on the condition of the facility.
If you paid by credit card, Strathcona County will refund it directly back to your credit card.
If you paid by debit, please visit the Ardrossan Recreation Complex at 80-1 Avenue, Ardrossan and have your damage deposit credited back to your debit card.
If you paid by cheque, Strathcona County will issue a cheque through our Finance department. This process will take approximately two to three weeks.
What is an initial payment?
Your contract includes an initial payment of $500.00 and is applied directly to the balance of your contract. An initial payment represents your commitment to rent the facility on the date you have it booked for.
1. How big is the hall and how many guests can we seat?Permanent link to How big is the hall and how many guests can we seat?
Ardrossan: The hall is 106' x 60' or 6,360 square feet. The ceiling height is 14 feet.
The hall will seat:
- 400 people with theatre style seating.
- 320 people at round tables
- 400 people at rectangular tables
Moyer: The hall is 62' x 85' or 5,300 square feet. The ceiling height is 21 feet.
The hall will seat:
- 400 people with theatre style seating.
- 280 people at round tables
- 400 people at rectangular tables.
Please note that using the maximum amount of tables will limit the size of the dance floor.
Ardrossan has a moveable stage pieces comprised of 12 pieces of 4' x 8' at adjustable heights of either 1 or 2 feet high. There is also a set of steps for each height.
Moyer has a built in stage which is located on the north side of the hall.
Ardrossan Recreation Complex Hall stage
Moyer Recreation Centre Hall stage
3. What is included in the day rate hall rental?Permanent link to What is included in the day rate hall rental?
The day rate includes the use of the hall from 8 a.m. on the day of your rental through to 2 a.m. the following morning and includes:
- tables and chairs
- bar area with ice machine, glass front cooler and bar sink
Strathcona County staff will be in attendance for the duration of your rental to assist you with any facility related issues including electrical, plumbing or building maintenance.
4. Does the day rate include table and chair set up?Permanent link to Does the day rate include table and chair set up?
The rate provides the facility and it’s amenities including:
- hardwood floors
- air conditioning
- sound system with cordless microphone
Set up of tables and chairs can be completed to your specifications by Strathcona County staff at an hourly charge per hundred guests.
Can my guests smoke in the hall?
The Province of Alberta has restricted smoking inside all facilities.
Designated smoking areas are marked outside the facility. Please ensure guests are using ash trays provided.
Please note, your liquor licence does not cover outside of the building, so please ensure guests do not take alcoholic drinks outside of the hall.
6. What do I have to do at the end of the night to clean up following my rental?Permanent link to What do I have to do at the end of the night to clean up following my rental?
Following your rental at the end of night, please ensure that you have taken your decorations and supplies and that all garbages have been taken out to the garbage bin. Garbage bags will be supplied for you. Strathcona County staff will clean and stack tables, chairs and sweep and mop the floors.
7. What time do I have to be out of the facility during my rental?Permanent link to What time do I have to be out of the facility during my rental?
The rental contract specifies the end of leased time period.
If you have paid the day rate to rent the facility, you will be required to have your guests, band/DJ, all the supplies that you brought with you and the garbages emptied by 2 a.m.
8. What happens if I am not out of the hall before 2 a.m.?Permanent link to What happens if I am not out of the hall before 2 a.m.?
We schedule Strathcona County staff according to the times you rent the facility.
Please end your event on time so that our staff are not working for longer than they were scheduled for and can get home safely.
9. What if I need to get into the hall prior to 8 a.m. on the day of my rental?Permanent link to What if I need to get into the hall prior to 8 a.m. on the day of my rental?
If you require access to the hall prior to 8 a.m., you can rent extra decorating hours by adding it to your contract.
10. Can we rent the hall for the whole weekend?Permanent link to Can we rent the hall for the whole weekend?
Strathcona County provides staff in the facility for the duration of your rental to assist you with any facility related issues. Our rates are set up per day as well as hourly for decorating the day before or gift opening/clean-up the following day.
11. Can we host a gift opening the following day after our wedding reception?Permanent link to Can we host a gift opening the following day after our wedding reception?
You can add ‘Gift Opening’ hourly rate to your contract for your gift opening the day following your main rental.
The facility will be closed at 2 a.m. and will reopen according to the time you rent. Bathrooms will be touched up and paper products checked and replaced however, table, floor or garbage cleaning will not be done between these times.
If your contract had the kitchen rented for your Saturday function, you will also have the kitchen during this time. The kitchen must be left clean following any use.
12. Can Strathcona County set up the hall for me? How do I tell them what I want?Permanent link to Can Strathcona County set up the hall for me? How do I tell them what I want?
You can have our staff set up the hall for you by drawing your layout on our floor plan. Staff will then follow your design to set up the tables for all guests specified on your contract plus a maximum of 10% extra. Some revisions may be required to account for emergency exits.
A floor plan can be emailed or faxed to you or you can pick one up from the facility, or you can call our Customer Service Representative at 780-400-2084 or email firstname.lastname@example.org You can also download a copy here:
Ardrossan hall main floor plan
Can I bring my pets into the hall?
No. The hall and attached kitchen is designated as food preparation and serving areas and Capital Health, Environmental Public Health Services restricts all pets from these areas following safe food handling procedures.
Do we need to wax the hardwood floor?
No. We use our own wax for the hardwood floor. If you do use your own wax of any kind, your damage deposit will be kept to refinish our hardwood floors.
15. Do you have 220 volt power (range outlet) for our band/DJ?Permanent link to Do you have 220 volt power (range outlet) for our band/DJ?
Ardrossan has two different locations for a 220 volt outlet. Only one can be used at a time.
Moyer has one outlet located on the stage.
What does the hall look like?
Ardrossan: The walls are white with a wood and cork railing six feet up. The doors and door frames are grey.
Moyer: The lower six feet of the walls are dark oak and the upper portion is light brown.
Both halls have cloth chairs with padded backs and seats and metal frames.
Both halls have hardwood floors and air conditioning.
2. Can we hang decorations from the ceiling in the hall?Permanent link to Can we hang decorations from the ceiling in the hall?
Ardrossan: Ceiling height is 14 feet. Lightweight decorations may be hung from the suspended t-bar ceiling so long as they do not damage the ceiling tiles or t-bar.
Moyer: Ceiling height is 21 feet. Decorations may be tacked onto the beams in the hall. No decorations may be hung from the stage lighting.
A ladder or scaffolding must be brought into the facility at the renter's expense should you wish to decorate the ceiling at either facility.
3. Can we tape decorations to the walls/doors?Permanent link to Can we tape decorations to the walls/doors?
To make decorating easier, we have installed a cork board around the perimeter of the hall that provides you with a place to hang decorations. In order to protect the painted surfaces of the hall, we ask you to not tape any decorations or signs to the walls or doors.
4. Can we staple decorations/ skirting to the tables?Permanent link to Can we staple decorations/ skirting to the tables?
Clips can be rented through any special event rental company to attach decorations to our tables. Please be kind to the renters following you by not damaging our tables.
5. Can we have candles as decorations in the hall?Permanent link to Can we have candles as decorations in the hall?
Open flames candles are permitted, however, they must be contained within a vase or hurricane type lamp in order to protect your guests from accidents.
Can we use hay bales as decoration?
Due to the possibility of mice hiding within them, bales are not allowed in our facility.
7. Can we decorate with sparkles/glitter on the table?Permanent link to Can we decorate with sparkles/glitter on the table?
We ask that you do not use sparkles or glitter as this can damage our hardwood floor.
8. What kind of tables do you have? What size are they?Permanent link to What kind of tables do you have? What size are they?
Each facility has 40 round plastic top tables that are 5 feet in diameter (seat 8) and 50 rectangular plastic top tables that are 8 feet long x 32 inches wide. They are sand/beige in colour.
9. Does Strathcona County supply table cloths and napkins?Permanent link to Does Strathcona County supply table cloths and napkins?
No. These items can be rented from special event rental companies.
If such items are being delivered, please inform our staff as our facilities do not have regular daytime staff on weekends.
What is included in full kitchen?
Full kitchen includes the use of all kitchen amenities including:
- all dishes and flatware (enough for 400 place settings)
- walk-in cooler
- coffee urns
- cooking utensils
- warming oven
- commercial dishwasher
- gas stoves/ovens
- grill top
- commercial meat slicer and mixer
- tea towels and aprons
The kitchen is not stocked with glassware.
Please note that our dinnerware is white commercial grade and our flatware is plain silver.
What is included in light kitchen?
Light kitchen allows you to prepare light meals and lunches. Included in light kitchen is:
- use of the counter tops for food preparation
- coffee urns
- walk-in cooler
- ovens to warm food
Light kitchen does not include any cookware including pots and pans or cooking on the stove tops.
3. What happens if I do not rent the kitchen?Permanent link to What happens if I do not rent the kitchen?
If you do not include either the full or light kitchen in your contract it will be closed.
4. What kitchen cleanup do I need to do after my rental?Permanent link to What kitchen cleanup do I need to do after my rental?
The kitchen must be returned to the condition it was found prior to your rental. All dishes and cooking equipment must be washed and put away, stove tops and ovens need to be cleaned and all counters and cupboards must be wiped down.
Can I bring my own caterer?
Yes, you may bring your own caterer. We also can provide you with a list of past caterers who have used our facilities. Strathcona County does not make recommendations regarding your choice of caterers.
6. Can my caterer come into the facility the day before my rental to prepare?Permanent link to Can my caterer come into the facility the day before my rental to prepare?
If you have added ‘decorating’ the day before on your contract based on an hourly rate, your caterer can access the kitchen during this time as long as you have it rented on your event day. A minimum of three hours must be booked.
We do not have a freezer available for food storage during hall rentals.
8. What happens if we break some dishes or damage equipment in the kitchen?Permanent link to What happens if we break some dishes or damage equipment in the kitchen?
The kitchen is part of your rental contract, and so your damage deposit will be used to cover all expenses. If the expenses cannot be covered by the damage deposit Strathcona County will invoice you the remaining costs.
Corkage / bar
What is included in corkage?
- mix for your drinks including Coke, Diet Coke, Sprite, Ginger Ale, and soda water on fountain
- Clamato juice
- tonic water (in cans)
- orange drink crystals
- 7 oz plastic flexi-glasses
- juice pitchers
- spices (celery salt, Tabasco sauce, Worcestershire sauce, salt, pepper)
We do not supply large beer glasses or lemons, limes and celery.
The corkage rate is per person per day rate.
Can I bring my own corkage?
You are welcome to bring in your own corkage. The use of the bar and ice is included in any hall rental as well as bar tools such as tongs, cork screws, shot glasses and can openers.
3. If I have paid for corkage, do I get to keep any leftover juice, cups, and extras that are left in the bar?Permanent link to If I have paid for corkage, do I get to keep any leftover juice, cups, and extras that are left in the bar?
Corkage supplies such as flexi-cups, Clamato, orange juice and spices that do not get used during your event should be left in the bar.
4. Is ice included only if I purchase corkage?Permanent link to Is ice included only if I purchase corkage?
Cubed ice is included in the basic hall rental and is available for all rentals in the hall. The ice machine is located behind the bar and has the capability to replace the capacity of the storage bin in two hours thereby making ice continually during a rental.
5. Does Strathcona County provide bartenders?Permanent link to Does Strathcona County provide bartenders?
Renters must provide their own bartenders, ticket sellers and table clean up.
A first place to look for bartenders could include family members and friends. Some rentals have contacted family-related not-for-profit organizations and donated to the organization in exchange for volunteers to operate their bar. Please be aware of possible liability issues related to this option.
Can I bring my own homemade wine/beer?
Please contact the liquor outlet where you will purchase your liquor permit or the Alberta Gaming and Liquor Commission at www.aglc.ca/liquor for rules and regulations.
7. Do I require a Liquor Permit to have liquor at my event?Permanent link to Do I require a Liquor Permit to have liquor at my event?
Yes, it is a Provincial regulation. Liquor Permits are available from most liquor outlets. You may be required to provide your rental contract when purchasing a permit which will outline the renter’s responsibility as the permit holder. See the Alberta Gaming and Liquor Commission at www.aglc.ca/liquor for more information.
What is host liquor liability?
Host liquor liability gives protection against liability or lawsuits for people or organizations hosting single or multi-day functions with liquor. These policies provide from one million to five million dollars protection to the license-board permit holder as well as the host of the private liquor-related function.
The development of a host liquor liability policy was the direct result of changing legal attitudes towards the responsibility of those who serve liquor to the public. Liquor liability is not limited to bars. Claims and lawsuits have been brought against services clubs, liquor stores, universities and private social hosts (anniversaries, company parties, family reunions, wedding receptions etc.)
9. How much coverage do I need to have as a renter?Permanent link to How much coverage do I need to have as a renter?
Strathcona County requires that you carry a minimum of $2 million for your event.
10. Where can I purchase Host Liquor Liability coverage?Permanent link to Where can I purchase Host Liquor Liability coverage?
We recommend that renters begin with their own insurance provider. We also encourage you to shop around as there are price differences between companies. There are a number of local companies that sell this coverage and the rates that have been quoted range from $150.00-$250.00 for up to 150 people.
When you purchase your coverage you need to add Strathcona County (as owner of the facility) to "Additional Named Insured's" on the Host Liquor Liability Coverage.
11. Does Strathcona County provide Host Liquor Liability Coverage?Permanent link to Does Strathcona County provide Host Liquor Liability Coverage?
No, it must be purchased through an insurance provider.
12. Can I have alcohol during my rental without having Host Liquor Liability coverage?Permanent link to Can I have alcohol during my rental without having Host Liquor Liability coverage?
No. Alcohol is only permitted with an appropriate liquor permit and proof of Host Liquor Liability insurance coverage. This coverage should be faxed to the facility prior to your rental as per the Terms & Conditions agreement signed when you rent the facility.
13. Can my guests bring their own alcohol to the venue if I have a liquor license?Permanent link to Can my guests bring their own alcohol to the venue if I have a liquor license?
If you have a private resale liquor license and will be charging for alcohol, only alcohol purchased by the license holder will be permitted on site.
If you have a private non-sale liquor license, you may provide all liquor and/or allow guests to bring their own, provided all receipts are brought for proof of purchase.
14. When did the Host Liquor Liability policy come into place?Permanent link to When did the Host Liquor Liability policy come into place?
Strathcona County implemented this policy on September 1, 2008 for all rentals as of this date forward.
Ardrossan Recreation Complex Hall bar
Moyer Recreation Centre Hall bar
1. How much does it cost to park overnight campers?Permanent link to How much does it cost to park overnight campers?
Overnight campers are permitted to stay in our facility parking lots during your function with the purchase of a permit.
Permits are available from the facility staff and include a maximum three night stay. This includes the night prior to the rental, the night of the rental and the night following the rental.
The fee fluctuates annually.
2. How do you know who has paid for overnight parking?Permanent link to How do you know who has paid for overnight parking?
Paid overnight campers receive a yellow permit tag signed by facility staff to place in the window of their unit. This must be displayed at all times.
3. What happens if a guest does not pay for overnight parking?Permanent link to What happens if a guest does not pay for overnight parking?
Strathcona County Bylaw 30-92 restricts overnight camping in facility parking lots without written approval. Bylaw Enforcement Officers are authorized to issue a violation tag (and corresponding penalty) if the bylaw is contravened.
Where can overnight campers park?
Camping units can be placed on any area of the parking lot that you wish. We do ask that no vehicles (trailers, trucks, cars, vans etc) park on any grassed area around or adjacent to the facility.
5. Do overnight guests have access to showers?Permanent link to Do overnight guests have access to showers?
In each of the facilities, we have an ice arena with dressing rooms and showers. These showers can be used at a minimal cost if they are not being used by arena renters AND if it has been arranged with facility staff prior to use.
Please contact facility staff prior to your rental to arrange this service.
Can I tent at the facility?
Tenting is permitted at Moyer Recreation Complex in the grassed areas only with a valid camping permit.
No tenting is permitted at the Ardrossan Recreation Complex.
1. Are there hotel or motel accommodations close to the facility?Permanent link to Are there hotel or motel accommodations close to the facility?
The Ardrossan Recreation Complex is located in Ardrossan, which does not have any local accommodations. However, Sherwood Park, 10 minutes west, has a variety of accommodations.
The Moyer Recreation Centre is located in the hamlet of Josephburg, which does not have local accommodations. However, Fort Saskatchewan, 10 minutes southwest, has several accommodations.
Please check local business directories.
What taxis service the halls?
The Ardrossan Recreation Complex, located in Ardrossan, does not have local taxi service. Please check the Sherwood Park directory for taxi services.
The Moyer Recreation Centre, located in the hamlet of Josephburg, does not have local taxi services. Please check the Fort Saskatchewan business directory for taxi services.
3. Is there a playground within walking distance of the facility?Permanent link to Is there a playground within walking distance of the facility?
The ArrKann Spray Park and Playground is located behind the Ardrossan Recreation Complex.
The Moyer Recreation Centre is located adjacent to a community park with trails and ball diamonds. Evergreen trees border the south and east sides of this park area.
Last updated: Friday, April 28, 2023
Page ID: 39655