Family Resource Network
The local Family Resource Network (FRN) is a partnership between the County's Family and Community Services, Boys and Girls Club (BGC) Strathcona County and Big Brothers Big Sisters of Strathcona County. The FRN provides programs and services for families with children and youth ages 0-18 years that focus on well-being and resiliency, including:
- Programs to support healthy child development
- Reliable parenting information
- Connection to other local resources
Our Family Resource Network fall program schedule (3.1 MB) is now available! Connect with other parents and caregivers, learn new skills and support your child’s healthy development.
These FREE programs include:
- Drop-in parented programs for infants aged 0 to 18 months
- Drop-in parented programs for kids 0 to 6 years old
- Registered programs for kids in grades 1 to 3 and grades 4 to 6
- Registered parenting skill-building sessions for a variety of age groups
- Special events for families and children of all ages
Check out the calendar below and register today.
Family Resource Network infographic
Check out our infographic to learn about supports available to you and your family.
Parenting is a journey and everyone needs help sometimes. The Family Resource Network offers a range of parenting supports and services including:
- Information on child and youth development
- Discussing challenges and individualized parenting plans
- Referrals to other agencies
- Connecting to community resources
- In-home parenting support
The Home Visitation program provides weekly in-home support for parents in raising healthy, safe and secure children. It is a free and voluntary program for pregnant parents and parents/ caregivers of children ages 0 to 6 years. Home Visitation will help you:
- Focus on family strengths and needs
- Address your pregnancy concerns and provide prenatal support
- Learn more about child development
- Develop and foster positive parent/child interactions
- Reach personal and family goals
- Access community resources
- Build your support networks
Learn what you can expect at various ages and stages of your child’s development with an easy to use questionnaire. The results provide insight into your child’s expected developmental milestones. A member of our team will be in touch to discuss the results, celebrate achievements, and provide resources to continue supporting your child’s growth. This developmental check-in tool is available for children ages 2 months to 5 years.
A series of questionnaires designed to help you monitor your child's physical, intellectual and emotional development at regular intervals for 2 months to 5 years old.
- For the Ages & Stages Questionnaire (ASQ-3) click here.
- For the Social Emotional Questionnaire (ASQ:SE-2) click here.
Once completed you will be contacted by a staff member with the results, within three business days.
Pregnancy support: Health for Two program
Health For Two is a free program offered in partnership with AHS for women who need extra support to have a healthy pregnancy.
Health for Two (Hf2) provides support throughout pregnancy and up to 2 months postpartum to women who require extra support to have a healthy pregnancy.
Services offered include:
- Education on pregnancy, birth, baby care and parenting (including pregnancy and parenting options)
- Support and referrals to community supports (such as maternity care, mental health, addictions, housing, food security)
- Resources may include milk coupons and prenatal vitamins
Strathcona County Family Resource Network spokes
Our partners Big Brothers Big Sisters of Strathcona County, and the BGC Strathcona County are the designated ‘spokes’ within the new Family Resource Network.