Sport Central Program
Strathcona County, Recreation, Parks and Culture is affiliated with Sport Central as a referral agent for children and youth requiring sport equipment for sport or recreational use. Sport Central provides recycled sporting equipment at no charge to families in need.
1. Who qualifies for equipment Permanent link to Who qualifies for equipment
Children between the ages of 3 and 17 in the Recreation Access Program (RAP) qualify to apply for equipment from Sport Central. Other children in need and not on the Recreation Access Program may be referred by a community leader/professional such as educator, clergy, doctor, coach or Family and Community Services Representative. A new referral is required each time a child needs equipment.
2. Bike, rollerblades and skateboards Permanent link to Bike, rollerblades and skateboards
Children are eligible to receive only one bike or set of equipment but can keep exchanging as the child grows. Only one of a bike, rollerblades or skateboard can be provided per child. Sport Central does not provide ongoing bicycle repairs. A new helmet is supplied only once with the above items.
3. Hockey equipment Permanent link to Hockey equipment
A Confirmation of registration in hockey is required to obtain hockey equipment.
4. Equipment provided Permanent link to Equipment provided
- and many other types of gear
5. Application process Permanent link to Application process
- Please ensure your child is between the ages of 3-17 and qualifies to apply for Sport Central equipment – currently on the Recreation Access Program with Strathcona County and are a Strathcona County resident. Alternatively, you may be referred by a community leader/professional such as educator, clergy, doctor, coach, or Family and Community Services Representative.
- Fill out Sport Central Equipment Request Form, including your email for confirmation. Should you require hockey equipment, please include your child’s registration confirmation.
- Send a completed copy to firstname.lastname@example.org or drop off at Recreation, Parks and Culture office at 2025 Oak Street with Attention: Programming Specialist.
- The Programming Specialist will make the equipment referral within 5 business days and send you an email indicating the Sport Central phone number to call to set up the appointment to have your child outfitted at a time that is convenient for you.
6. Application form Permanent link to Application form
7. Donations of equipment for Sport Central Permanent link to Donations of equipment for Sport Central
- Fire Station 1 – 1933 Sherwood Drive, 780-467-5216
- Sin Bin Sports – 2008A Sherwood Drive, 780-417-7462
- County Clothes-line – 38 Sioux Road, 780-464-7786 (no bikes)