Enviroservice event (hazardous waste)
Enviroservice events are done for 2013
All events are finished for 2013. You can take your items to one of the Eco Stations in Edmonton. Watch for more dates in 2014.
Helpful, but hazardous
Every day new products can be found on store shelves that help make cleaning and other tasks around the home a little easier. Disposal of these materials needs to be a conscious effort.
Many paints, cleaners, automobile care products, solvents, pesticides, herbicides, stains and varnishes contain toxic or hazardous components. Once exposed to the environment, these substances may threaten living organisms. Small quantities accumulate over time and contaminate the air, water, and soil. Products that are flammable, corrosive, explosive, or toxic should not be disposed of in landfills or sewage systems.
Throughout the 2013 Enviroservice season, you did your part and helped to recycle:
- 1,035 televisions and monitors
- 286 car batteries
- 1,400 computers and laptops
- 104 cubic metres of paint
- 257 barbecue propane tanks
Watch for dates in 2014!
The Enviroservice event is available for all Strathcona County residents even if you do not subscribe to the Green Routine. The Enviroservice event takes place at Streambank Avenue Recycling Centre, 420 Streambank Avenue, Sherwood Park.
Enter the event on Streambank Avenue northbound via Petroleum Way. There is no entrance westbound on Streambank Avenue. Please obey all signs.
Please note: This is a drop-off event for residents only. These items are not collected with weekly waste collection. Commerical/industrial waste is not accepted.
Items collected at the Enviroservice event
These items can also be taken to an Eco Station
- Strathcona: 5150-99 Street, Edmonton
- Ambleside: 14710 Ellerslie Road SW, Edmonton
- Coronation: 11440-143 Street
Electronics can also be taken to Staples Business Depot 350, 390 Baseline Road, Sherwood Park
- Open Monday to Friday 8 a.m. 9 p.m.
- Saturday 9 a.m. to 6 p.m.
- Sunday 11 a.m. to 5 p.m
Results from 2012
The Enviroservice events in 2012 were a huge success! Over 3,130 cars came through the 12 events from May to October. Congratulations Strathcona County for diverting the following from the landfill:
|102 cubic meters of paint cans |
7 cubic meters of aerosol cans
12.7 metric tonnes of household hazardous waste
6,600 litres of used oil
4991 used tires
41, 800 lbs scrap metal
Thank you for making these events such a success.
If you have extra waste occasionally that will not fit into your black cart, you can take these materials to the Enviroservice event. A fee will apply.
Fees for extra waste:
- $3 per small item (such as lawn chairs, stools, kid's small pool, kitchen sink, garbage bag, etc.)
- $6 per large non-reusable furniture item (such as couches, mattress etc.)
Items NOT collected at Enviroservice events
- commercial hazardous waste
- commercial biomedical waste
- expired medication (take to your local pharmacy for proper disposal)
- radioactive waste
- munitions (bullets, weapons, etc...)
- pressurized gases (oxygen, acetylene tanks)
If your items are reusable, please donate them to a local charity . There is no charge for appliances.