skip to main content

Resident Resources

Strathcona County does not have direct authority in energy development, but it does engage in a process with industry, landowners, residents and regulators that is communicative and cooperative. This is done to encourage oil and gas exploration and production to occur with the least possible impact on the environment, health, safety and quality of life for Strathcona County residents.

If you require information or have a concern regarding oil or gas development on your property or in your area, you may wish to reference the following information materials or contact the agencies listed below.

General| Oil and gas wells | Pipelines | Reclamation
Seismic operations | Water wells| Information materials


  • Strathcona County, Planning and Development Services
    This department has staff who assist residents with energy exploration issues and concerns.
    Lori Mills , Energy Exploration Liaison
  • Clubroot
    In 2007, Alberta Agriculture and Food declared clubroot a pest by the Pest and Nuisance Control Regulation under the Alberta Agricultural Pests Act and released the Alberta Clubroot Management Plan. The Alberta Agriculture Pest Act gives the municipal authority responsibility to enforce pest control measures within their jurisdiction. The landowner or occupant is responsible for preventing the disease from being present in their fields. Strathcona County may require a Clubroot Management plan from the oil and gas company working on a property.
  • Transportation and Agriculture Services
    780-417-7100 (24 hours)
  • Energy Resources Conservation Board (ERCB)
  • This agency is responsible for the energy sector and falls under the jurisdiction of the provincial government. The ERCB is the regulatory body for oil and gas development in this province.
    403-297-8311 [for toll-free access, dial 310-0000 and then the number]
    780-460-3800 for the St. Albert Field Office [24-hour emergency number]
  • Edmonton Area Pipeline and Utility Operators' Committee
    Information and contacts for EAPUOC, an association that encourages and promotes safety around buried pipelines and cables. EAPUOC also acts as a communication network to keep members in touch during emergencies. 
  • Environmental Assistance
  • Environmental Law Centre
    The Centre provides legal counsel referrals, publications and links to oil and gas development information, briefs and submissions on issues related to the energy industry, a wellsite search service and access to the Environmental Law Library.
    780-424-5099 or 1-800-661-4238 [toll-free]
  • Fort Air Partnership - a reference for current air quality and air shed region resources.
  • Surface Rights Board
    Under the Surface Rights Act, the board can grant right of entry or determine compensation as well as other related issues.
  • Mineral Rights Sale Results for Petroleum and Natural Gas/Oil Sands
    This is a link for landowners and freeholders showing mineral rights held by the crown or others (including freeholders).
  • Northeast Region Community Awareness Emergency Response (NR CAER)
    This site offers information on safety, programs and the association's memberships.
  • Transportation Utility Corridor (TUC)
    This site offers information regarding the corridor around Edmonton for pipelines, roads, power lines, and other utilities.

Top of page

Oil and gas wells

Top of page


Reclamation certificates for wellsites are issued by Alberta Environment (AENV) or contact 780-427-5828. Once a well has been officially abandoned (under the Energy Services Conservation Board [ERCB]), a company can reclaim the site and apply for a reclamation certificate from AENV. To inquire if a reclamation certificate has been issued for a wellsite, go to the following link and tool Environmental Site Assessment Repository (ESAR ). A legal land description (i.e. meridian, range road, township road, section, quarter [i.e. SW, SE, SW, NE]) is required to assist you in your search.

Top of page


  • Pembina Institute
    They provide resources to assist citizens with the numerous issues arising from proposed oil and gas development.
  • Office of the Farmers' Advocate, Agriculture, Food and Rural Development
    This organization focuses on the interests and rights of the landowner and can provide advice on all issues related to lease agreements and negotiations.

    For issues related to land reclamation, contact the Division of Environmental Science & Standards. 780-427-5883

    Temporary Work Space (107.0 KB)
  • Pipelines in Alberta is a brochure available from the Office of the Farmers' Advocate or from Lori Mills , Energy Exploration Liaison, Strathcona County at 780-416-6739.
  • North Central Surface Rights Association
    • A group of landowners that work toward resolving land issues and compensation with pipeline development.
      780-576-2077 [president of Association]
      780-998-0838 [local contact for Strathcona County]
  • Government of Alberta Pipeline Act
  • Government of Alberta Surface Rights Act and Regulations
  • Pipeline spills or leaks:
    • ERCB 403-297-8311 [for toll-free access, dial 310-0000 and then the number]
    • ERCB 24-hour emergency line 780-460-3800
    • Alberta Environment Environmental Hotline 1-800-222-6514
  • Pipeline location issues:
    • ERCB 403-297-8311 [for toll-free access, dial 310-0000 and then the number]
    • Office of the Farmers' Advocate 780-310-3276
  • Pipeline compensation issues:
    Surface Rights Board 780-427-2444
  • Pipeline reclamation issues:
    Office of the Farmers' Advocate, Division of Environmental Science & Standards 780-310-3276
  • Strathcona County Land Use Bylaw 8-2001 Section 6.7 Setbacks from Pipelines

Top of page

Seismic operations

Top of page

Water wells

  • Office of the Farmers' Advocate, Agriculture, Food and Rural Development
    This organization can assist with issues related to water loss due to seismic and/or oil and gas exploration activities. They also administer the Water Well Restoration or Replacement Program.
  • Alberta Environment and Sustainable Resource Development
    This provincial department has inspectors/investigators to assist with complaints about damage by seismic companies.
  • Water Information Centre
    They provide information about water well depths, production rates and water well drawing reports (which may include pump tests and chemistry up to 1986). They also administer the Observation Well Network. AENV works with the public database that supplies water well location, date and location of wells drilled, etc.

  • Capital Health - Strathcona Health Centre
  • Bottles for water testing are available from the Health Centre. Residents and landowners should contact the Health Centre for specific directions related to water collection and testing.

    • Water bacterial testing
      This test checks for contamination and takes approximately 1 week to 10 days for results.
    • Chemical analysis
      They can also test raw well water (not treated) for minerals (iron, fluoride, sodium, etc.) which takes approximately 4 to 6 weeks for results.

      For further information or unusual testing requests (e.g. hydrocarbons), contact a health inspector who will advise if and how Capital Health can assist.
  • Strathcona County Protocol Appendix 3 - List of Independent Laboratories in Edmonton for Water Well Testing (Updated May 2006)
  • Drinking Water
  • Private Water Wells After Flooding

Top of page

Information materials

Top of page

Further information
Phone: 780-416-6739

Last updated: Monday, August 31, 2015
Page ID: 38457