Sources of emergency information
In the event of a local disaster, Strathcona County residents will be notified through the Alberta Emergency Alert system first. Subscribe to receive alerts on Twitter, Facebook and via RSS today.
Information will also be made available:
- on the Strathcona County website
- sent to all local media outlets
- on social media sites like Twitter and Facebook
- electronic signs placed on major transportation routes
- on the UPDATEline
- possible door-to-door visits by emergency personnel
The UPDATEline (1-866-653-9959) is a 24-hour number that residents can call to hear current information about non-routine industry activity (unusual noises, alarms, training, flares, odours) and get emergency incident updates. The UPDATEline carries messages about activities in the areas of North Strathcona, Fort Saskatchewan, Sturgeon and Lamont and for Sherwood Park and East Edmonton. Homeowners in all areas of Strathcona County can access the UPDATEline.
Other places to receive disaster information include:
- Strathcona County switchboard (780-464-8111), open between 8:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m., Monday to Friday. After hours, phone 2-1-1.
- Alberta Environment Air Quality. 1-877-247-7333. www.environment.alberta.ca
- Alberta Sustainable Resource Development. Alberta's wildfires update line 1-866-916-INFO (4636).
- Alberta Health Services. 1-866-408-LINK (5465). www.albertahealthservices.ca
- Government of Canada, Get prepared.
Are you prepared to be self-sufficient in your home for up to 72 hours?