Garden suites offer an innovative, cost-effective way to increase the amount of affordable housing options in Strathcona County.
This housing option helps meet the lifestyle and social needs of lower income County residents, particularly for those looking for rental housing.
Garden suite means an accessory use on the same lot as the principal dwelling, which is either a separate one (1) storey building having no garage component, or a suite above an accessory building or to the rear of an accessory building (at grade), or a suite within an accessory building.
Note: “Secondary suite” means an accessory use consisting of one additional self- contained dwelling unit located within a single dwelling.
Applying for Permits
To obtain the necessary permits, you will be required to submit:
- A completed application form with landowner signature.
- A completed application form.
- Three copies of the site plan (a photocopy of the Real Property Report is preferred) showing the garden suite with the setbacks to the property lines.
- Three copies of the floor plans for each level in the accessory (including one with the suite), the dimensions and rooms must be labeled. Window sizes and smoke detector locations must also be shown.
- Elevation drawings, to scale, of all four sides.
- Current copy of land title (printed within the last 30 days).
- Two copies of any additional engineering requirements.
Garden Suite Fees
Please see “Garden Suite” in the current development and building fee schedules.