Information for new owners

Congratulations on purchasing your new home!

As a new homeowner in Strathcona County, there are a number of questions that you may have regarding property taxes, especially if this is your first property purchase. The following questions are designed to provide you with some general information about property taxes that many new homeowners ask.

Assessment and Tax Notice

Annual Assessment and Tax Notices are mailed in mid May. If you do not receive your notice, please contact the Assessment and Tax Department. Failure to receive a tax notice or loss of a tax notice will not be accepted as a reason for late payment.

More information:

Last Modified: July 5, 2021, 4:13 p.m.

Can I pay tax bills by Pre-Authorized Payments?

Property owners have the option of enrolling in the Tax Instalment Payment Plan (TIPP).

If you sold a property, please notify us at Taxation to cancel the payment plan on your property.

If you purchased a new or additional property, please complete a new Tax Instalment Payment Plan application (2.7 MB) . The pre-authorized program is not transferrable to other properties. 

Can I pay my property tax bills through my bank or financial institution?

You can make property tax payments online, through telephone banking or in person at your financial institution. Your account number will be your property tax roll number, which can be found on your tax notice or school support form.

Please allow sufficient time for your payment to reach our office by the due date. You can check with your financial institution as to how many days are required to pay in advance in order for payments to reach our office by the due date.

My mortgage company is paying my property taxes. What should I do?

You will be sent a copy of your tax bill even if your mortgage company is paying your taxes. If your notice states "A copy of this notice has been sent to (your financial institution)" we have sent the financial institution the amount of taxes owing. If you do not see your financial institution listed please contact them.

Are my taxes paid in full?

Please go to "Your Accounts" and register with your ID number (appears on all utility and tax notices). Once registered, you can view the financial status of your tax account anytime.

Can I change my school support?

School support notices are sent to all new owners or as requested.

Where can I find additional Property Tax information?

More detailed information can be found on our property tax and assessment page.


Phone: 780-464-8120

Last updated: Tuesday, June 05, 2018
Page ID: 48832