Late tax payment penalties
Assessment and Tax Notice
Annual Assessment and Tax Notices are mailed in mid May and taxes are due the last business day of June. The tax year is January 1 – December 31.
If you do not receive your notice, please contact the Assessment and Tax Department. Failure to receive a tax notice or loss of a tax notice will not be accepted as a reason for late payment.
There is a $20 charge for a reprint of a historical tax notice. Please come into our office for further information.
Taxes for the current year (calendar year) that remain unpaid after the due date are subject to the following penalties:
- July 1 - three per cent (on unpaid current tax levy)
- August 1 - six per cent (on unpaid current tax levy not including July 1 penalty)
- September 1 - nine per cent (on unpaid current tax levy not including the July 1 and August 1 penalty)
The following penalties apply to the previous year(s) annual taxes as well as previous year(s) supplementary taxes.
- January 1 - three per cent (on total outstanding balance as of December 31)
- February 1 - six per cent (on total outstanding balance as of January 31)
- March 1 - nine per cent (on total outstanding balance as of February 29)